NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher 80ED - what parts do I need?

Hi all,

I'm tempted to put an order down for the Sky-watcher 80ED for when they come back in stock but I'm bewildered by all the add-ons and parts I may need, or not need, to do astro-photography on this OTA. I'm currently using a Canon 600D which is connected to my OTA using a t-ring (M48 I think?). Nothing else. What would I need to do something similar with the 80ED? Here's what I think I need:

1. The Sky-Watcher reducer/flattener.
  2. The Sky-Watcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter. - Why can't I use my existing t-ring, is it a different thread?
  3. Do I need anything else to achieve the correct back-focus?

If I went down this route and if I save my pennies here's what I might do:

• Switch to a dedicated astro camera. Would that change the above? I guess I'd just need to lose the t-ring?
  • If the focuser can't hold the weight of the camera replace it with an aftermarket one. Would that change anything? If I used something like the Baader SteelTrack (which is super pricey but let's see) that's got an M48 thread so you wouldn't need the Sky-watcher specific t-ring?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, SiD the Turtle said:

Hi all,

I'm tempted to put an order down for the Sky-watcher 80ED for when they come back in stock but I'm bewildered by all the add-ons and parts I may need, or not need, to do astro-photography on this OTA. I'm currently using a Canon 600D which is connected to my OTA using a t-ring (M48 I think?). Nothing else. What would I need to do something similar with the 80ED? Here's what I think I need:

1. The Sky-Watcher reducer/flattener.
  2. The Sky-Watcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter. - Why can't I use my existing t-ring, is it a different thread?
  3. Do I need anything else to achieve the correct back-focus?

If I went down this route and if I save my pennies here's what I might do:

• Switch to a dedicated astro camera. Would that change the above? I guess I'd just need to lose the t-ring?
  • If the focuser can't hold the weight of the camera replace it with an aftermarket one. Would that change anything? If I used something like the Baader SteelTrack (which is super pricey but let's see) that's got an M48 thread so you wouldn't need the Sky-watcher specific t-ring?

Thanks!

I can't comment directly on the Skywatcher focuser - I bought an 80ed in March, but bough a Baader SteelTrack at the same time to replace the standard focuser. If you go down that route, you need to be aware that the Skywatcher reducer/flattener screws onto the back of the stock focuser, so you will need an adapter for the Steeltrack.

I haven't bought the reducer/flattener yet as I am still getting started with imaging but also wanted to use the scope as a portable visual platform as well. I use a canon 7d mkii, but accept that for the moment I lose the outer edge of the view to quite server vignetting so the field of view for imaging is constrained.

• Thanks 1

The 80ED is about as simple as it gets.

Buy the 0.85x FF/FR, screw it to the drawtube (rock solid). Its spacing should be 55mm to the sensor. Use the M48 to T-Ring adaptor, that is always 11mm (for Canon), then the other 44mm is made by the backfocus of your camera = 55mm automatically achieved. 

If at first you find the focuser a bit lacking in grip, you need to pinch up the tension - I find you have to do that to all stock skywatcher (crayford) focusers. As soon as its able to hold the camera against gravity, you should leave it there (dont do it up too tight).

• Thanks 1

I have the 80ED, with the flattener, ZWO 8 pos'n EFW, ZWO ASI1600MM and I have had no slippage issues with the Focuser.

However, I have also fitted the Sesto Senso focus controller so that may help to keep the focus rack in check.

• Thanks 1

I still have the stock focuser and had to flatten the drawtube with a wet stone to improve the grip. Quite a common mod. I've hung full frame DSLRs and large astro cameras off the back and it doesn't slip. It does the job but a better focuser is a worthwhile investment down the line. It seems to be luck of the draw on how well it grips from the factory.

Great scope though. Definitely great bang for buck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1