Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 10" LX90 Upgrades...?

I have fitted a Peterson Engineering 'dry clutch', to the DEC of both my 10" LX200GPS (which I no longer have), and my current scope, a 12" LX200R.

Is the upgrade worthwhile?, absolutely IMO.

Meade use a wet clutch arrangement, which is prone to 'slipping', unless the clamping nut/knob is done up very tightly, too tightly in fact. This excessive tightening, is known to eventually cause the thread to shear.

The Peterson clutch upgrade is very simple, and comprises a cork ring gasket, albeit at £30 the most expensive piece of cork you'll ever buy :hello2: . All of the gease that Meade use between to the two metal clutch faces, is cleaned off, and the cork ring put in place.

It now needs only a light pressure on the 'clamping' nut/knob, to provide a very firm grip on the DEC position of the scope.

Note:, this mod does not apply to the RA clutch, which isn't generally a problem.

Dave

I agree with Kevin, I have done both the mods on mine and it is well worth it. :hello2: If you do it now before the threaded rod on the alt clutch goes You will be a very happy bunny. Once it is done it only takes two fingers and very little pressure to get the tube locked in place. :thumbright:

Archived