NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any motorised focus recommendation

So assuming I can reach focus with my Moonlite SCT focuser and TMB the next thing on the list is an motorised focuser so I can autofocus. Obvious choice would be the Deepskydad however they are not available at the moment so I’ve been looking at a couple of other options;

Primaluce Sesto Senso - looks a nice bit of kit but apparently because it attaches to the fine focus control of the Moonlite is apparently prone to slippage as the fine control relies on friction. Anyone confirm whether that is the case as otherwise it looks pretty much spot on. 

Hitec Astro FocusMaster - looks decent however universal brackets are always a bit of faff. 

Lakeside focuser - looks similar to the Hitec but with a bespoke bracket

Moonlite focuser - looks very nice and of course built for the focuser but £100 more

Any I’m missing, any to avoid etc?

6 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Which focuser share you using it with?

Sorry but I don't understand your question.

I have the Sesto Senso Focuser attached to my Esprit 100 and have used it for almost 2 years without any problems.

Its attached to the fine focus knob which is also a friction drive the same as almost all scopes.

Just now, wornish said:

Sorry but I don't understand your question.

I have the Sesto Senso Focuser attached to my Esprit 100 and have used it for almost 2 years without any problems.

Its attached to the fine focus knob which is also a friction drive the same as almost all scopes.

Thanks - yes I just wanted to know which focuser you were using so assume in this case it’s just the standard SW one that comes with the Esprit?

I am somewhat back to the drawing board though as I can’t reach focus with the Moonlite in the imaging train so back to the drawing board. 

I have Lakeside focusers fitted to all my William Optics refractors. You remove the temperature knob, fit a coupling collar onto the shaft, fit the motor shaft into the other end of the collar and fit the custom bracket to the scope. It works really well.