NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Declining eyes

Ags

I used to find that an exit pupil or around 1mm kept the floaters away, but now I am finding that I need at least 1.5mm exit pupil to see anything on the planets. So frustrating! My 6mm SLV is very nice but at just under 1mm exit pupil it's like looking at Jupiter through a snow globe! I used to be able to shake my head and get a few seconds of clear viewing, but that don't work no more.

As I can't go bigger than my C6, that means I am stuck with a magnification of 100x (maybe 120x at a push). Sad face.

I read somewhere that as you age the floaters soften and liquify and eventually go away. Can the retired SGLers attest to that?

• Sad 3

I am toying with the idea of "supermagnification" - using outrageously high magnification on Jupiter so the planet's disc is much larger than the floater blobs... I'll try this tonight.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that, very frustrating. I wonder if binoviewers might help a bit? I've no experience with them myself by wonder if (a) it might be easier to see more detail at x100 and (b) using both eyes might reduce the effect of floaters? Perhaps others with more experience of binoviewers can help?

Just out of interest, why can you go no larger than a C6?

• Like 1

I have heard binoviewers can help, but I don't get on with binoculars so I don't fancy the investment. Also I see plenty of floaters staring at a blue sky, so I don't think it would be total solution.

My setup is built around the AZ-GTi and the C6 is the biggest aperture you can put on that mount. Maybe in a couple of years I might get a C9.25 though...

• Like 1

I do have sympathy. I am finding higher powers difficult on my 120mm because of exactly what you describe. It is very frustrating as it is a lovely scope. So I have just invested in a large newt again. Only had one chance to use it so far, but happened to hit lucky with the seeing and yes, the big exit pupil helped enormously - nearly 2mm at 166x. No floaters really at all. But of course it comes with a big cost in terms of practicality.

My floaters have got considerably worse over the last few years, particularly following some eye issues, and although you kind of compensate in normal light, a bright point of light against darkness in a very narrow beam is very demanding and I guess is  going to show the issue at its worst. I live in hope they may fade, but sadly I suspect not.

I understand binoviewers can help as the brain merges the images and irons out anomalies, as Rob has said above. But I also completely understand they are not going to work for everyone - I feel I would find them awkward, too.

So no help I'm afraid, but at least you are not alone.

• Like 1

I am glad the big dob is working for you. I will try my supermagnification theory tomorrow (imaging DSOs tonight) and invest in 8 and 9 mm eyepieces.

Maybe someone will invent a diffuser lens to increase the size of the exit pupil without reducing the focal length of the telescope...

• Like 1