NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Excellent Jupiter tonight at short notice

John

11 hours ago, steveex2003 said:

I was very tempted to give that Prism a shot. Glad it performs so well.

Steve - just be aware that not all examples appear to be as good as the one I’m fortunate to have bought. There was a thread started by Mike (IPeace) a couple of years ago which explained how he’d had to send a couple of units back  to Baader because of a noticeable spike at high magnification on bright objects. Might be worth reading that before taking the plunge. 

• Like 3

Just now, Highburymark said:

Steve - just be aware that not all examples appear to be as good as the one I’m fortunate to have bought. There was a thread started by Mike (IPeace) a couple of years ago which explained how he’d had to send a couple of units back  to Baader because of a noticeable spike at high magnification on bright objects. Might be worth reading that before taking the plunge. 

Mark.
Very much so. I read something here that I don't know about, which is frankly most of it - but that's the joy, and then off i go and then read about said item or observation. Although i don't struggle with reversed image, a correcting prism of the quality Mike demanded (in his review post) could never be a bad thing. I was fairly up to speed with the potential downsides of these diagonals, but an all but perfect pre-tested specimen got about as close to me sending a PM as it gets. And then that being said, the view of Jupiter last night via my sit-up-and-beg WO dielectric holds my attention in absolutely no lesser fashion I am sure.

Off topic, I bought an LVW 22mm from Mike, and it remains my favourite EP. I dont think it's sharper than the Morpheus I have, but it has cooler colour rendering to my eyes, which can give a faux, but pleasing sense of increased contrast.
Anyway, another quality product from Mike. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rob said:

Glad you all enjoyed one of those rare perfect seeing evenings!.. I wanted to get out, but couldn't for family reasons. @Stu over x500 on Mars!.. wow fantastic that image scale must have been awsome

Rob

It was a bit crazy Rob. As said, didn’t see any more, but I don’t think I saw less either! Image scale was very nice!  Just needed a little more contrast. The Neodymium helped but perhaps a red or orange filter may help too.

Craig’s excellent image here shows what I could see, although with much less contrast. Strong hints of the texture in the dark albedo features coming through though. I didn’t knowingly see Olympus Mons, need to look more carefully when I know where it is.

I really want to try to see Vallis Marineris this opposition, it’s been something I’ve wanted to see for years, if it’s possible.

• Like 1