NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 250PDS conversion to Dob?

Hello SGL,

I am currently looking for a 10" Dob. I have noticed a SW 250PDS for sale and I am wondering whether is a good idea (or even possible), to mount it on a Dobsonian Base.

I was considering Orion UK's mount (https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/dobsonianmount.html), as I gather they are good scopes. Is this purely down to the optics? (would this even be compatible?) Overall it would cost around £486 but with the Skyliner 250P being £440 Brand new, is it a good idea? Another question, How would an Explorer 250PDS compare optics wise to the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250P and/or the Bresser Messier 10" Dob?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Edited by Matt01
Didn't account for VAT in cost estimate

The 250PDS and 250P optics are identical and equivelent to the Bresser so no difference in performance. 

The Orion dob mount you have linked to is of course just the dob mount but yes you could fit a 250PDS OTA to it. The most basic complete Orion dob comes with optics equivalent to the SW and Bresser but few bother with the basic optics but go for the higher grade optics options.

The Orion scopes are lighter weight than the others with an aluminium tube and build quality is excellent nowadays and comparable to the Bresser although the Orion focuser isn’t as good. 

Pity the Bresser dobs are sold out until October.

Edited by johninderby

7 minutes ago, Matt01 said:

@johninderby

Would you consider it to be worth it?

The conversion of the 250PDS or the buying a complete Orion UK dob?

Or you could build a dob base youself which would be far cheaper than buying the Orion base as good as it is.

Here’s my Bresser with a new base which I built myself.

3D157060-D481-48C2-B6DF-B5CB00F3B1BF.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

The Orion aluminium dob base is vey solid and a great bit of kit although not cheap though. The 250PDS OTA is 288mm in diameter compared to the Orionn OTA which is 280mm so you might need to fit some rubber strip inside the Orion rings but not a big problem.

But as the price of the 250PX dob isn’t much different to the Orion dob base on it’s own it is something to consider. However the 250PDS has a Crayford dual,speed focuser wheras the 250PX has a basic cheap single speed focuser that is also something to consider. 

If you can get the 250PDS at a good price the Orion base seems like a good option.

I did similar with my 200p , an Orion Optics carbon fibre 10 inch originally on an OO dob base is now on my NEQ6 and I repurposed the OO dob base for the 200p I had been using on the NEQ6

(the 10 inch is fine inside my ROR where the walls keep the breeze off the big tube).

Dob base had to be tweaked to fit the narrower OTA , but I find this a very easy drop and use scope that is up and running in minutes. I take it out in the car to dark sites as its very portable.

The aluminium base avoids any wetness problems on damp grass.

The OO dob bases are expensive however but very high quality.

20190613_114546.thumb.jpg..jpg

My OOUK Dob bases are superb, and the best thing about their Dobs.  They're super smooth, the rings make balancing easy, they're very light and also have a smaller footprint so are easier to carry, and as said rotproof.

OOUK may have a small stock, but I know they also make bases to order so can accommodate any tube size.

They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny.  Do make sure you opt for the friction brake though.

Did I say they're good?  Oh yes, I did!