NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10mm f3.5 vs 17mm f2.8 - Milky Way

dd999

I've recently purchased my very first dslr. 

I'd like to try my hand at shooting the milky way. I can have a go with my 18-55mm kit lens but I'd rather something a little more suited. 

Given the option would you opt for a 10-14mm lens at f3.5 or a 17mm lens at f2.8?

Im leaning towards the 17mm f2.8 lens to give me a relatively wide but faster lens - but would a 10mm lens at f3.5mm give me a better wider shot, and the f3.5 fast enough for the Milky Way? 

Edited by dd999

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I would opt for the 17mm. Prime lenses are generally better than zooms and F2.8 is plenty fast.

Ahh the 17mm would be a Zoom too, it's not a prime lens either 

Its a 17-50mm f2.8 lens

Edited by dd999

Even at f/2.8 you may well still need to go beyond, say, 15 second exposures which is more or less the limit before you get noticeable star-trailing.

By which I mean to say you may want to consider some form of tracking, if you don't already, such as a SW Star-Adventurer. I use an AstroTrac. My default option for MW shots is to shoot it with 40-second exposures using my Samyang 24mm f/1.4 at ISO 1600 on a Canon 6D, though I am at a very dark site. 3 of those 40-second subs using just that set-up, stacked and stretched gets you this, which some may consider overdone but I like it:

MW_3stack_201808.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Even at f/2.8 you may well still need to go beyond, say, 15 second exposures which is more or less the limit before you get noticeable star-trailing.

By which I mean to say you may want to consider some form of tracking, if you don't already, such as a SW Star-Adventurer. I use an AstroTrac. My default option for MW shots is to shoot it with 40-second exposures using my Samyang 24mm f/1.4 at ISO 1600 on a Canon 6D, though I am at a very dark site. 3 of those 40-second subs using just that set-up, stacked and stretched gets you this, which some may consider overdone but I like it:

MW_3stack_201808.jpg

That's a really nice shot! 👍

I have a tracker in the AZ GTi - so in eq mode I could achieve longer subs than just 20 seconds or so. I guess I wanted foreground in at the same time - but a little bit of post editing can sort that out.

If that is the case would I achieve good results with my stock 18-55mm (at 18mm) lens at f3.5 on a tracker - post edit the foreground in PS - and save on an extra lens purchase?

Edited by dd999

I am not sure if primes are actually better, I have the 50mm f/1.8 STM lens and the std kit 18-55mm IS and guess which one is better, its the same with my 70-200mm against a 200mm prime. The problem with some primes is that they have to be stopped down to f/4 anyway while most zooms work ok wide open, obviously very good primes like the Samyang range will win out at a price.

Alan