Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with Barlow Connection

Hi Everybody,

Okay, so I am a newcomer to Astrophotography, Previously I have obtained fairly good quality images of the Milky Way, Northern Lights and Lightening using my Canon 70D and various lens. But now I have taken the plunge and moved onwards and upwards. I have this last week received a Skywatcher Evostar 80Ed DS Pro set up and also the EQ5 Pro Mount Synscan Goto. On top of this I ordered a x2 Barlow as I have read a lot about them, or so I thought.

I am 100% still learning with the Synscan system, but what is giving me sleepless nights is how I connect the Barlow lens. 

I have googled it and watched videos, but still struggling. I understand it goes after my diagonal and then the eyepiece goes on after the Barlow. But I seems I don’t actually have the connectors or something to then reattach the Barlow. The Barlow lens is a Skywatcher branded one, so I assumed it would be straight forward, even for somebody with zero experience on setting it all up.

Could any of you kind people advise me on this And explain what on earth I am doing wrong please.

Hi @Davechapman and welcome to SGL.

I use an eyepiece projection unit (i.e. EPU)...

post-4682-0-68543300-1394159105_cropped.jpg.df346f2e694d80a8f95318583cbdef1a.jpg

My 'EPU' is the 'tube' in the centre of the image. I put an eyepiece in it and tighten the locking screw (not shown). It was made for me by Beacon Hill Telescopes. Other brands, including variable, are available. You may need to read this post and in which I replied to earlier today... 

Below is an image I took many years ago of 'Montes Apenninus' with a Meade ETX105 mounted on an alt-az mount, Meade 20mm Plossl e/p inserted in the EPU, star diagonal; (the one as shown in the first image); and a digital compact camera. 

p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg    

36 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Davechapman and welcome to SGL.

I use an eyepiece projection unit (i.e. EPU)...

post-4682-0-68543300-1394159105_cropped.jpg.df346f2e694d80a8f95318583cbdef1a.jpg

My 'EPU' is the 'tube' in the centre of the image. I put an eyepiece in it and tighten the locking screw (not shown). It was made for me by Beacon Hill Telescopes. Other brands, including variable, are available. You may need to read this post and in which I replied to earlier today... 

Below is an image I took many years ago of 'Montes Apenninus' with a Meade ETX105 mounted on an alt-az mount, Meade 20mm Plossl e/p inserted in the EPU, star diagonal; (the one as shown in the first image); and a digital compact camera. 

p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg    

Hi Philip, thank you for the reply and Advice. All very confusing currently, but I’ll learn no doubt 🙄🙄

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davechapman said:

Hi Philip, thank you for the reply and Advice. All very confusing currently, but I’ll learn no doubt 🙄🙄

You're welcome.

I am planning to do some imaging with my DSLR's (Nikon D40x & D80). I still have the digital compact camera too.

Just to let you know batteries don't like cold. So make sure you have either... spare batteries; (as batteries don't like cold); or a dummy battery connected to a safe external power supply/source if using outside.

1 hour ago, Davechapman said:

Hi and thank you for getting back to me. Attached are the photos of Barlow Lens and the attachments that came with the scope itself.

Do you have any other eyepieces than the 28mm eyepiece that came with the telescope? The 28mm is a 2" eyepiece but the barlow is 1.25". Only 1.25" eyepieces can be inserted into the barlow. 

1 hour ago, Davechapman said:

DAE055C4-E7E2-49C6-BD9B-D89F49E6CCC2.jpeg

The bottom of these two pieces is a 2"-1.25" reducer. You put this piece into the diagonal, then the barlow lens you have bought fits into the reducer. You can then insert a 1.25" eyepiece into the barlow lens. 

However, you also mention astrophotography. If you are doing astrophotography then you do not use an eyepiece or diagonal, the camera is attached directly to the back of the telescope, and you would only use a barlow if you are doing planetary photography. 

12 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Do you have any other eyepieces than the 28mm eyepiece that came with the telescope? The 28mm is a 2" eyepiece but the barlow is 1.25". Only 1.25" eyepieces can be inserted into the barlow. 

The bottom of these two pieces is a 2"-1.25" reducer. You put this piece into the diagonal, then the barlow lens you have bought fits into the reducer. You can then insert a 1.25" eyepiece into the barlow lens. 

However, you also mention astrophotography. If you are doing astrophotography then you do not use an eyepiece or diagonal, the camera is attached directly to the back of the telescope, and you would only use a barlow if you are doing planetary photography. 

Morning, Thank you for clearing all that up nicely. I feel bit of an idiot right now. So much to learn and not enough clear sky’s currently. The scope is planned for Astrophotography, but still waiting on one or two bits to allow me to connect the camera. So basically just been playing and trying to learn a little.

as a complete novice, is there any other bits you would suggest I invest in??

Again, thank you for the help and pointing me in the right directions.

20 minutes ago, Davechapman said:

as a complete novice, is there any other bits you would suggest I invest in??

For astrophotography, the only thing I know to suggest is to get yourself a copy of the book Making Every Photon Count. Reading and understanding this book should save a lot of aggravation and money in the long run.

If you want to do some visual as well and can spare another £100 then maybe an 18mm Baader Classic Ortho and a 12mm BST Starguider would work well, which with your barlow would effectively give you 6, 9, 12, 18 and 28mm eyepieces (0.8, 1.2, 1.6, 2.4 and 3.7mm exit pupils). You could could choose the 18mm Starguider instead of the BCO, but it doesn't do so well in faster focal ratio scopes and I am not sure at what point the image cleans up. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend that much, perhaps just the 15mm Starguider for £50, so that you have 7.5, 15, and 28mm eyepieces (1, 2 and 3.7mm exit pupils). 

For visual there is the book Turn Left at Orion, and the accompanying web page. I would also suggest downloading Sky Safari if you have a smartphone or tablet, or Stellarium for a PC.