Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on Narrowband Mosaics in Photoshop

I've got some decent data for the two ends of the veil nebula. As you can see my first crude attempt is a bit iffy, although I can align it OK.

What's the best way to proceed?  I'm cautious of spending ages on one approach when I could have taken an easier route.

How much processing should I do before I combine the images? Should I combine as individual layers or combined into RGB images?

I have Ha, Sii and Oiii for each half, all the same amount of data and reasonably consistent ( more moon and better flats for the second session).

Here's my crude first attempt:

veil mosaic first try.jpg

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

My approach is to remove background and then stitch images while data is still linear. Once you have stitched larger versions - then proceed as usual.

Thanks Vlaiv I had another go using more or less that approach, although they had all be given the same stretch in Fits Liberator.

Mabula’s advice on generating mosaics in APP is to calibrate and stack each panel individually and then combine these integrated panels to create the mosaic for onwards processing. This approach certainly helps if, like me, you have limited computing capacity.

• Thanks 1