Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher single axis motor for eq3-2

Hi

I know the Skywatcher single axis motor for the eq3-2 is battery powered but I see you can plug in dc power to it, does anyone know which dc power adapter I can use it with please, as prefer to run off mains electric rather than batteries 

Mine requires 6v so anything that can provide 6v and probably 1A minimum should be fine (add up the volts provided by the batteries).  As for plugs and sockets, the power goes into the hand controller (on my one anyway) so I think a standard fit 5mm or so round DC power plug, tip positive (be sure to check this for yourself!). You could probably use one of those generic wall socket power supplies, however if you're outside in the winter be sure to have adequate waterproofing on any mains extensions, dew is your enemy.

I run mine from a small 6v lead acid battery, lasts a long time and is much easier to handle and charge than a bunch of D cells in that fiddly battery holder (looks like something from 1960s Star Trek).  Only caveat is that I had to make my own connectors and leads, and buy a battery charger that does 6v lead acid batteries.

Edited by jonathan
  • Thanks 1

I run my EQ3-2 single axis motor off a 5V mobile phone/tablet powerbank, the motor is designed to run on 4.8V anyway (4 x 1.2V rechargables) so the real 5.2V from the powerbank is fine and whats more they are as cheep as chips even for the 10A/H ones. You will have to make up a lead though from an old USB cable or graft one onto the existing lead...

Alan

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jonathan said:

Mine requires 6v so anything that can provide 6v and probably 1A minimum should be fine (add up the volts provided by the batteries).  As for plugs and sockets, the power goes into the hand controller (on my one anyway) so I think a standard fit 5mm or so round DC power plug, tip positive (be sure to check this for yourself!). You could probably use one of those generic wall socket power supplies, however if you're outside in the winter be sure to have adequate waterproofing on any mains extensions, dew is your enemy.

I run mine from a small 6v lead acid battery, lasts a long time and is much easier to handle and charge than a bunch of D cells in that fiddly battery holder (looks like something from 1960s Star Trek).  Only caveat is that I had to make my own connectors and leads, and buy a battery charger that does 6v lead acid batteries.

Hi guys 

Thank you for your replies, I have ordered a generic wall plug charger that does variable voltages and different connectors to hopefully fit alright as I think the socket is centre positive but could be wrong, will have to see about lashing a lead up from USB if needed, plenty of those laying around here and I'm not adverse to some soldering. 

Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7