NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6.5m dome...

jambouk

Our Society dome is in need of attention. It was once an old grain silo in the 1980s and converted into our dome. It is now pretty rusty and corroded in places. A formal replacement dome would cost in excess of £40,000. Does anyone have any ideas of cheaper options, other than another silo.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I built the 9M dome at the Astronomy Centre and a 6.5M dome for a customer.  The 6.5M was a converted silo dome probably similar to yours, never again, it is easier to build a better one from scratch!, the material is very thin and your dome has done well to last that long.  I would be tempted to come out of "retirement" to take on another if I was confident about my future fitness, I would certainly be pleased to offer advice should your members be interested in a DIY approach.

Is it not possible to refurbish the existing dome?, the silo dome kit I used came with spare panels, presumably these are currently available.      🙂

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before, but only useful if the size suits: 4.5m GRP dome [14' 9" ?] sold as "calf rearing domes."

Easily converted to an observatory thanks to its three panel design. Available in white or green.

DO NOT build a plywood dome unless you intend to cover it in GRP, straight away, in summer or in heated accommodation.

What about covering your silo in GRP using voluntary labour?

• Like 1