Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen porta ii handle and Manny Myles

Robindonne

Ok although half the school season was deleted, my daughter did graduate and i planned to give here a better telescope than the heavy meade lxd75.   So i gave her my mak and vixen porta, but at the moment of handing it to her i knew im gonna miss that mount.  (It was also a bit to justify buying a porta ii).  I bought it with a Kokusai handle and being a bit surprised about the third party accesoires for this mount, i found something else.  It was a bracket to mount the scope in a resting position instead of hanging.   I added a picture, the only picture i could find.   And although this bracket seems like a big improvement for the porta mount (and maybe others models) i might prefer the bracket in a “upsidedown” version.  Dont know if it cost me stability, but if i can use a c8 now and then with this mount, idd be very happy.   I just dont know what to look for.   The pictured one is a Manny Myles plate and cant be used upsidedown.  Any help Is welcome.   

added is a picture of the handle.  But also two pictures with the manny myles plate.  You can see it cant be used upsidedown 

3540655B-CEC8-4CC8-BAF4-F97896F8B5FB.jpeg

C3F6F882-7898-4335-8C3B-B3BBC926774D.jpeg

12E9433F-D690-4C80-A471-F5AE3C7102E2.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne
Wrote then instead of than

That handle (the one in the top photo) was actually designed for another mount - the T-Rex alt-azimuth that Kokusai Kohki used to market.

As it happens, it does fit a number of other mounts that use the 35mm spaced clamp fastening holes.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John said:

That handle (the one in the top photo) was actually designed for another mount - the T-Rex alt-azimuth that Kokusai Kohki used to market.

As it happens, it does fit a number of other mounts that use the 35mm spaced clamp fastening holes.

Oh didnt know that.  What i do know is that that guy must be genius.  Why did i always grab that clamp to put the scope in roughly the right direction🙄.   

Using this handle with any type of Manny Myles-like plate, will probably only need some longer bolts/screws i guess.   But are there any alternative mounting plates?   

Edited by Robindonne

16 hours ago, John said:

Euh John....what happened to your long term memory?😅

I found what i was looking for.  Thx to forum back in 2008😅

Edited by Robindonne

2 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Euh John....what happened to your long term memory?😅

I found what i was looking for.  Thx to forum back in 2008😅

Believe it or not, I don't read every post made on here ! :smiley:

Glad you found something useful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, markse68 said:

What’s the advantage of the underneath mounting bracket over the side mount? is it just that it raises the scope a bit?

Hmm also a nice benefit.  But besides the maybe easier mounting in the dark, more safe mounting, it was because i could barely fit a mak127 to it.  I wanted to make it possible to mount a c8.   

Strange thing though is that while waiting for the porta to arrive, i start to see more and more pics of c8’s directly mounted to the Porta.  I thought i tried it without getting even near.  

Edited by Robindonne