Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI183GT

Jpr78

It appears as if I have gone and put the cart before the horse. I ordered my EQ6-R Pro a couple of weeks back to handle my imaging scope. Last week I ordered a cam and filters after doing a little research. Now I have come to find that this camera will be pretty much unusable with my scope. Even with a .85 reducer the FOV is just way too small for most targets. I used astronomy tools FOV calculator with M31 as the target using my scope and cam setup. The only thing in the FOV is the core. Is there anything I can do about this or do I need to exchange this cam for something else? Perhaps I am missing something as I have seen other’s  use 183’s with longer focal lengths. I wouldn’t this a tad over 1000mm is excessive.

Edited by Jpr78

3 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

What scope you got?

Meade LXD-55 SN10 f4. I even used the ZWO ASI1600mm in the equation and still too small of a FOV for M31. Not that M31 is my only target obviously but it’s a good WF reference.

Edited by Jpr78

35 minutes ago, Jpr78 said:

Meade LXD-55 SN10 f4. I even used the ZWO ASI1600mm in the equation and still too small of a FOV for M31. Not that M31 is my only target obviously but it’s a good WF reference.

Right so yes that is not going to allow you to image m31 any time soon and with that scope I am thinking that nothing will.

On the brght side though its a great setup for smaller objects like small galaxies and planatary nebula. Think M1, M81 ...etc.

You could always get another scope further down the line at arounf 250 - 400mm focal length to complement it for wider feild targets.

But in essence its not your choice of camera that is the issue here its your choice of scope.

Adam

M31 is a large DSO and not at all typical of what you will be imaging once you've ticked that off.

Try a list of other Messier objects you fancy in the FOV calculator and only then decide whether the camera is suitable or not.

Michael

49 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

M31 is a large DSO and not at all typical of what you will be imaging once you've ticked that off.

+1 There are a small number of "crowd pleaser" objects that are frequently talked about and imaged when people start off. They also tend to be the objects illustrated in magazine reviews as they are bright (so produce results quickly), easy and familiar.

However over 90% of Messier objects are smaller than 40 arc-minutes across and half of all of them are less than 10 arc-minutes. Likewise most other DSOs tha Messier didn't spot ;) With a small FoV the biggies can be imaged as a mosaic. However with a large FoV the majority of objects will always appear small.

Agree with all the above. A small 70mm scope with a 0.8 reducer will enable you to image M31, M42, Horsehead, NGC7000 etc. Once you've done these you'll start looking at smaller targets and that's where your 1m focal length will excel. My only criticism of that camera is the pixels are very small for 1m focal lengtj and you will be oversampling at 0.5" per pixel so you should try binning 2x2 to get it up to 1".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Agree with all the above. A small 70mm scope with a 0.8 reducer will enable you to image M31, M42, Horsehead, NGC7000 etc. Once you've done these you'll start looking at smaller targets and that's where your 1m focal length will excel. My only criticism of that camera is the pixels are very small for 1m focal lengtj and you will be oversampling at 0.5" per pixel so you should try binning 2x2 to get it up to 1".

Yes agree with this. 2x2 will work wonders at 1m focal length for galaxies and smaller objects. Its a great camera so dont send it back if you want wider views its the scope you must change or more likely supplement.

Adam

Thanks for all of the helpful info! I was beginning to think I should have went with the ASI1600mm. No sooner did I buy the ASI183GT with integrated filter wheel and an Ha, SII and OIII filters for $1900 from OPT then they put a package deal with the ASI1600mm, 8 filter wheel and a full set of filters (Ha, SII, OIII and LRGB) for $1799. Still wondering if I should exchange. 

Edited by Jpr78

12 hours ago, Jpr78 said:

Thanks for all of the helpful info! I was beginning to think I should have went with the ASI1600mm. No sooner did I buy the ASI183GT with integrated filter wheel and an Ha, SII and OIII filters for $1900 from OPT then they put a package deal with the ASI1600mm, 8 filter wheel and a full set of filters (Ha, SII, OIII and LRGB) for $1799. Still wondering if I should exchange. 

I guess it depends on the reasons you selected the ASI183GT over the ASI1600mm pro in the first place. Personally I would not make the choice based on $100 difference in price. I would make the choice on how you wanted to use the camera. For me the biggest question is not the choice of sensor here but how often you want to change between LRGB and Narrow band imaging and how that balances against the against the advantages of the all in one form factor. There are lots of great reasons to chose the IMX183 especially for high resolution LRGB imaging using a big scope like the one you have. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J