Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Push to systems

Does anybody use the "push to" mode in stellarium and/or skyEye with their telescopes. Does it work well with todays phones? (The research I've found so far seems to be a bit dated). 

I used to use stellarium to help with star hopping so using it to push the scope may be easier? Even if it gets close to where I want to be and then use a finderscope or low power eyepiece to hone in on the target?

I have tried this using skyEye on android and the biggest challenge I had was when it would tell me of a Strange magnetic field and not point in the right direction. This is obviously due to the metal in the mount, but that makes it harder to use.

But yes, it is usable.

• Like 1

I do use Stellarium for "pushing to"... But (like you?) in a more manual way?
I have a small digital level mounted on the scope so that the altitude can be
set pretty close. I know the approx. azimuth so can then SCAN for objects...

I too am a bit circumspect re. magnetic detectors in mobile phones but... 😎
Ironically the case of my Tablet used a magnetic catch to keep it closed! lol
I am intrigued though!

Aside:

If I want to try using the Azimuth values to greater accuracy (I have printed
scales fixed to e.g. my Sky-Tee), I use a known bright object and move the
"pointer" (pencil on masking tape) around correspond to the actual value. 😛

I LIKE "PushTo"! But the FoV of my "visual scope" (ST120) is approx 4 deg? 🥳

Scale.jpg.ada8361893d522f4842095c33ff11e3a.jpg

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Macavity said:

Ironically the case of my Tablet used a magnetic catch to keep it closed! lol
I am intrigued though!

Apple and a few others seem to have made changes to their design to deal with this, but my phone is obviously not able to cope with it 😞

Thanks for the replies.

The magnetic field is the biggest problem I fear, but, if it gets close enough to jump off and walk so to speak I'll be happy!

I just need to work out how to fix it in place now.

It did occur to me to put a gyro sensor on this and report to my phone, also put a small push-this-way screen on there to direct the user, haven't got there though yet. Would avoid the magnetic field issue though. Speaking of that, why doesn't the phone report it's attitude via its internal gyros ?

Edited by skybadger
Crap spellinv
  • Like 1

I checked last night whether or not the magnet field between phone and telescope was going to play havoc with finding targets and throwing the calibration out. I have to admit I had no problems with calibration and even though I was holding my phone on the telescope it guided me to my targets. I was only using polaris and mizar. Took a great while due to dodging thick clouds!

I have a cheap phone holder that would perfectly on the telescope, so today I've fitted it on making sure it doesn't obstruct any other parts.

Now I just have to wait for a nice clear night!

20200725_130529.jpg