Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Watcher 76p tripod?

Hi all.
I am looking to mount my little 76p on a fairly cheap and cheerful tripod for nights where I just want a grab and go session in the garden. Can anyone recommend something that should be suitable please. Also will I need any accessories to mount the tube on a tripod?

Pic attached of my current unpractical tripod!

Thank you

Barry

DSC_0695.JPG

I fitted a tripod plate under my little NatGeo which is very similar to your SW pictured. Downside it, not so stable on the Velbon photo/video tripod I have really. partly I think down to not a wide enough area supporting the base. It might be more stable on one of the scope tripods but then that adds bulk to shift. With mine the OTA doesn't have a dovetail, there's a captive bolt that fits into the upright that forms the DEC axis. Not sure what other good options there are other than a tall stool to sit it on, as you have done :) 

If you have a camera tripod and ballhead, that too would work.

I myself use a Manfrotto 055PROB with a ballhead and a recently acquired Univesral Astronmics* DwarfStar mount. Images below of my TeleVue Ranger attached to the mentioned mounts. I also use them with my 're-modded' ETX105 (not shown).

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.1136c5ecc71ad6175b3024391ba0031d.JPG

* I have just looked at the Universal Optics website and it says; quote: "...Been a long time coming, but UA is slowly closing its doors.  My thanks to those who supported our products over the past 20 years." etc.

Edited by Philip R