Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer concerns

hobsey

Evening all,

I've just dug my Star Adventurer out after a good few years.

I have only ever used it once and that was when they first became available so I can't actually remember much about it.

The RA is very stiff to turn with the clutch released all the way off, even with the weight on, it bearly moves.

Have these always been stiff or has the grease gone crappy just sitting there?

Many thanks in advance. 

Mine was stiff after a fair while of no use. I took it apart, cleaned it up and re-greased, making sure not to tighten the piece around the polar scope too much.

It now swings either way happily with little resistance.

Also, undo the adjustment grub screw at the bottom, this pushes the gears in, which may be too tight.

Things do change size under temperature fluctuations as you probably know, but this may not be the reason.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't get the RA gear off and looks like it's seized around the polar scope not allowing it to slide out of the casing.

I'm going to have to send it off to be service somewhere.

Edited by hobsey

I had the same issue the first time, if I remember there may be a hidden grub screw?

There’s also a couple of SA teardown websites around but I can’t remember them at the moment.

I just watched a sa strip down on YouTube.

No grub screw, he just gave it a little wiggle and it came out.

Mine isn't shifting at all, afraid I'm going to do more damage.

Already looking at a replacement

Edited by hobsey

Mine is exactly the same and from what I've read, there are quite a few of these mounts with the same problem. Some have no issues, seems to be a QC or batch issue

The issue is the clutch plate, which is cast aluminium instead of machined. The central part is very slightly off centre and one side is raised.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ublmCpZhuu4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGHAh73QdIM  

Mine got progressively worse to the point balancing was not even possible it was so tight with the clutch loose. I opened it up myself, cleaned up, greased as best as I could. Resolved it somewhat but still 'sticks' on one part of the rotation. I was going to machine the affected part on a lathe as in this video however I've come to the decision to send it off dark frame optics to stellartune it. They will resolve this in addition to other mods and optimisations for £140.

Of course, it goes without saying, you can really screw it up by opening it up yourself. But if its guarantee, send it back. I should add that mine was sticky on one part of the rotation out of the box from the factory. Just at that time, I didn't really know what I was doing so didn't really notice it as a defect.

Edited by Yooster

5 minutes ago, Yooster said:

seems to be a QC or batch issue

But if its guarantee, send it back.

If only, it was one from the very first batch FLO got in so it is a few years old now.

Would probably explain the QC issue as it wasnt really a problem when first released.

Edited by hobsey

Just now, hobsey said:

If only, it was one from the very first batch FLO got in so it is a few years old now.

Would probably explain the QC issue as it was really a problem when first released.

Think mine is about three years old, the white/green one so not the original red. After seeing the videos I posted and opening mine up, its exactly the same issue on my mount. Definite QC issue. I think opening it up and cleaning/regreasing solved the 'progressive worsening' issue for me (which was a different issue), but just left the original problem still there, the clutch plate is not a precision machined item but a cast one with poor tolerances. If yours worked ok when you first got it, chances are its not this issue and just needs a good service.  

If I could actually remove the clutch, it wouldn't be an issue as I would have ago at sorting it myself.

I've given up now as I can see me throwing it soon and just can't be bothered trying anymore.

Currently looking at other mounts to replace it. 

Edited by hobsey

• 1 month later...