Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to ID and change USB Port Numbers

groberts

Previously when using Windows 7 it was possible to view the built-in USB ports in Device Manager to ID their number and, as if sometimes is necessary when using  EQASCOM with EQDIRECT, change the Port number.  I'm currently moving over to Windows 10 and am unable to find the port numbers any more - can anybody please point me in the right direction? 

Obvioulsy I go into Device Manager and (as has been suggested elsewhere on Google) turn on the "View-Hidden Devices". There are ports there but unlike with Windows 7 I can't see how to ID or change their assigned Port number.

Graham

Thanks Alan.  I should clarify more, when I say 'ports' actaully what I can see are USB root hubs etc not ports which I cannot find anywhere, let alone  ID their number etc. Any ideas where I might find them?

Graham

Untitled.jpg

Ah, right. 🙂 When you plug a device in which requires  a COM port it will be assigned one by the operating system and it will then appear in the Device manager list under Ports (COM & LPT), (between Portable Devices and Print Queues). On older PCs this was always there as hardware COM ports 1 and 2 were installed on the mother board. Later PCs did away with the hardware com ports so don't appear by default. If the COM port doesn't appear when you plug the device in, it probably means the driver for that device isn't installed.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Yes there is no "Ports / COM & LPT" in Windows 10 which is present on my Windows 7 setup, even with something plugged in, though the item works OK (so far).  

Generally this is fine with me but, as I said, with EQASOM it is often necessary to change the Port number and if I can't see it I can't change it.  How do I get round this?

I haven't had a problem with COM ports not showing in Win 10 but it seems some have and this is Microsoft's forum response

open device manager,  click on action,  add legacy hardware,  click on next,  search for and install the hardware automatically(Recommended),  next,  it will detect that com port and next,  double click com port,  next,  next and finish,  now you will be able to see that com port... :) 

When device manager first opens you may have to click on the main window for options to show up under Action.

Instead of selecting 'install automatically', you can select the hardware from a list, and select Ports (COM & LPT), then Manufacturer (Standard port types) and Model (Serial) from the list.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Graham, I would have your device that works with a COM port plugged in before you scan for new hardware. The manual selection for 'standard port types' may just look for actual serial hardware which doesn't actually exist so other selections may need to be tried. Hopefully the automatic scan will find your USB serial device and display it. 🙂

Actually, in the list of manual com ports selections, under Manufacturer (Microsoft), there is Model (USB Serial Modem device) which may be worth trying.

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1