Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Issues with Deep Sky Stacker

Hi all, 

(Very) long time lurker here, first time poster!
I am struggling with stacking some images I took the other night and I know there is someone here who can help!
When I stack my light frames in Deep sky stacker, there seems to be some strange 'line noise', please take a look at the images below. 
Has anyone seen this before? I simply use recommended settings in DSS and export it as 16 bit TIFF (I plan to process it in lightroom).

I know f/5.6 is a narrow aperture for this type of work (I used high ISO to compensate) but I know my gear and f/5.6 is pretty optimal for the Zeiss Milvus f/1.4, anything wider and I get unacceptable coma (the joys of high resolution sensors). There is a comet in the shots, but when I try to 'mark' the comet prior to stacking, it doesn't allow me to actually mark it (although it allows marking of some not so nearby stars?). So, I don't use the comet stacking mode. Any help greatly appreciated!

Stacked crop:
sgl1.PNG.34e54d2875c281ded34b1de68d637264.PNG

Original crop:

sgl2.thumb.PNG.f1671d7c9951c69e06ffbfe43b53b392.PNG

original:

sgloriginal.PNG.be6a909b60e663c40488be91ab3ea2ba.PNG

You can see here, that it won't allow me to mark the comet itself. 

sglcomet.PNG.72f08e85a15763a431c2f7441401a79a.PNG

I am fairly sure there is something wrong with what I am doing here but please let me know!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Hi

My first thought is if the comet isn't found then hold the shift key down so you can free locate and mark it on your light frame in DSS and then save and move to the next frame.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about the shift key trick!
I actually tried this (and then used the comets & stars mode) but the resulting image is a bit strange too

sgl3.PNG

I once corrupted a set of darks by looking at them in fits liberator! had to start again, think if you have done anything to them, i now just take them and leave them alone till needed then let DSS create a master and now never look at them at all.  Also try stacking just the comet and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astrosharkey said:

I once corrupted a set of darks by looking at them in fits liberator! had to start again, think if you have done anything to them, i now just take them and leave them alone till needed then let DSS create a master and now never look at them at all.  Also try stacking just the comet and see what happens.

Maybe I managed to corrupt mine ! I will try this later.

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I have just run DSS on my stack and comet only produced the better result on my data.

Thanks, I will also try this later

Edited by LooseFur