Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Entry level telescope

Hi! Just wondered if someone could help advise me on an entry level refractor telescope? I've been reviewing so much in the price range of up to £100. I was contemplating the Gskyer AZ70400 but it's out of stock everywhere now! Also looked at the skywatcher mercery 707 but read that it's not that great. Wanted something more to see planets and moon maybe. Thanks:)

Hello Shannon, welcome to SGL

This is within your budget......

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

This is even better if you can stretch the budget....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Also you can download “Stellarium” - very good free planetarium software.

Also see this guide to buying a scope here (this is a good supplier too)...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

Welcome

Here's a user review of the mercury 705

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/223257-new-scope-for-young-eyes/

If your main interest is planets (they are low in the sky for another few years Northern hemisphere) then the faster refractors (shorter tubes) will show chromatic aberration on bright stars and planets. I was looking to see if the evostar 90mm on an az3 tripod was in budget but I see the price has risen.

You get more aperture for your money if you look at reflectors like in the post above then you do with refractors.

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the comments! I was looking for one I could put on a tripod, it's more for when I go camping! I have avoided looking at reflectors as I got the impression that refractors are much easier to use? 

Anyone know what what celestron 70Az astromaster is like? Read some reviews and it seems decent, it's just not very portable it seems.

3 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Hi thanks for the comments! I was looking for one I could put on a tripod, it's more for when I go camping! I have avoided looking at reflectors as I got the impression that refractors are much easier to use? 

Anyone know what what celestron 70Az astromaster is like? Read some reviews and it seems decent, it's just not very portable it seems.

Hi, I own the astromaster 70az and I can tell you that the tube is quite long. The whole setup is quite light though. However, I do not recommend you to get this scope as it is back heavy and the altitude axis can slip. Refractors may be easier to use, but they don't gather as much light as reflectors so I highly suggest buying one of those instead. If you are worried about collimation, search up a couple of YT videos. First light optics(the sponsor of this forum) sells the Skywatcher Heritage 150p for under 200 pounds. If budget or weight is an issue, you can always opt for the smaller Heritage 130p. Both of them are tabletop models so they're smaller than the astromaster 70az in terms of the area occupied by the full setup and they gather more light!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shannon said:

I believe the Heritage 130 can be removed from it's mount and used on a standard photography tripod. As it also collapses to a shorter length, it will probably work well for your needs.

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2020 at 10:44, Shannon said:

The tripod solution has been answered by Andy above.

In your price range a reflector will give you the best views, any refractor in your price range will show some false colour in the view - it’s called chromatic aberration - which reflectors as they are mirror based do not have.

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1