NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Veil - now with more OIII and SII

Adreneline

This is 20 x 180s of Ha and OIII and 12 x 180s of SII (neighbour's roof stopped me getting another eight subs of SII) taken with a Samyang 135mm / ASI1600 combination, using Astronomik 6nm NB filters, unguided on an iOptron CEM25-EC.

Veil-SHO.thumb.jpg.fef1d93bcd8a4ed7b4035aeea8b8a635.jpg

I've cropped the image to make it square but it is essentially full width. More data would obviously be helpful and if CO is to be believed I may get some before the week is out and the moon reappears.

Calibrated and integrated in APP, stretched in PI and followed by minimal noise reduction in PS. I've tried not to overcook the processing and I have also tried to stretch the three channels to exactly the same extent in an attempt to preserve the relative brightness of Ha, OIII and SII and keep the background levels the same to avoid an overall colour cast.

All C&C welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo
  • Like 11

I'm glad you posted this as, not only is it looking like a very good image, the vast majority seem to only image this with Ha and OIII.  HOwever, I have been collecting data on it over the last week in Spain and there seems to be a very useable amount of SII also.

Good work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RayD said:

I'm glad you posted this as, not only is it looking like a very good image, the vast majority seem to only image this with Ha and OIII.  HOwever, I have been collecting data on it over the last week in Spain and there seems to be a very useable amount of SII also.

Good work.

Thank you :)

These are the three component images to make up the PixelMath (unprocessed) SHO image - definitely some useable SII, bottom left.

Veil-SHO-components.jpg.9b6c9917a411814e35ee5a8e4a0e1c52.jpg

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification
  • Like 2

• Adreneline changed the title to The Veil - with more OIII and SII

This is now the original 20 x 180s Ha combined with 50 x 180s OIII and 30 x 180s of SII. I've tried to process exactly as before. I think the extra time on SII and OIII has helped reveal some more of the nebulosity.

Veil-120-SHO.thumb.jpg.a2a447c76156ac0082b339e0911b219c.jpg

This is a side by side comparison; there is a slight difference in the background:

60_vs_120.jpg.00eb1109fec014f9bd4ea310d5cfd2ca.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 2

I think that's made a very noticeable difference.  The nebulosity seems far more punchy, with more detail and 'pop'.  It has also definitely improved the background.

I'm looking forward to processing my data now.  I started blinking the images last night and had to ditch a couple but should still be enough.  If I get this from it I'll be happy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

If I get this from it I'll be happy.

Thank you. I might try adding more data but it gets to be a bit of a diminishing returns thing in the end.

I had previously imaged the Veil with my Canon 200mm but it only just fits into the fov and even then the 'tails' hanging out the bottom are all lost - there again you get a bit more detail. Just goes to prove you can't have everything.

Good luck with your processing; I look forward to seeing the end result.

Adrian

• Like 1

• Adreneline changed the title to The Veil - now with more OIII and SII