NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astromaster 130eq collimation

Hi this question will of been asked before, I think I've collimated my astromaster 130eq well but as the secondary is offset a little on these models does my attached photo looking through my collimation cap look OK, I know the offset thing and doesn't look to far out, does this affect the view into my ep or can I move it closer to the centre by undoing the dreaded centre screw they say never to touch. 

IMG_20200717_172947.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7

Get the secondary so it appears centred under the focuser and the offset will take care of itself. It is probably oversized so you don't need to worry about that too much. The next step of aligning the secondary to the primary is the important secondary adjustment. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Get the secondary so it appears centred under the focuser and the offset will take care of itself. It is probably oversized so you don't need to worry about that too much. The next step of aligning the secondary to the primary is the important secondary adjustment. 

Hi ricochet 

Thankk you all sorted now and got it just about spot on now with only a slight offset and a sharper image now. 

You only see the offset when you observe the shadow of the secondary in the primary.

When you are looking at the reflection of the primary in the secondary (via the cheshire/collimation cap) you won't notice the offset.

For all intents and purposes - ignore the offset. You only need to worry about it if you were installing the secondary mirror onto the holder.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pixies said:

Also, you can use "Mire de Collimation" to check for concentricity of the elements in you image: 

Capture.JPG

Hi pixies 

That's a great idea and pice of software, I'll definitely look at that and use it 

This was my first scope many years ago. I'm fairly certain the primary isn't centre marked, meaning you'll have difficulty collimating it properly. It's a straightforward job centre marking it though, they're are only 3 screws holding the mirror cell in position. Just make sure you don't touch the mirror with your fingers 🙄🙄