NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iOptron AZ Mount Pro Query

robbymain

Hi All

Calling all iOptron AZ Mount Pro owners! 

I was considering an Alt-Az mount for my CT8 reflector and have been investigating the AZ Pro as a Goto option - but it would appear that I would have to install it upside down with the finder underneath if I want the focusser to be 'outside' as the pointing direction is fixed as per this:

70F4E776-63F8-41F1-B401-DE35CA5329DA_1_105_c.jpeg.b675854b8d499ba76c590988c1b11776.jpeg

Seems like a major oversight if you can't swap this direction in order to select which side you want to install the scope on. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rob

Fit a finder shoe where you want it, wear a mask when drilling the CF tube, or you could stick a telrad on it - and you may be able to turn the focuser around too for convenience

On 17/07/2020 at 11:43, robbymain said:

Seems like a major oversight if you can't swap this direction in order to select which side you want to install the scope on. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, that is the case with the IOptron AZ Mount Pro, it is a bit awkward as you say with some scope finder combinations!

On 17/07/2020 at 18:53, omo said:

Fit a finder shoe where you want it, wear a mask when drilling the CF tube, or you could stick a telrad on it - and you may be able to turn the focuser around too for convenience

This is what I have done... my refractors all have rotating focusers, and I have TelRads on the  Maks.

In all other respects, the AZ Mount Pro is an excellent Alt/Az GoTo mount. It is very quick and easy to setup and align, and once aligned, very accurate indeed. It must be properly levelled first, that is key.