Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply only or .... ???

Oh my, the shipping is like taking forever for my camera, it is been shipped last month by 18th, i hate to feel like i lost tracking of the order or it is stuck somewhere and no further news and information, but i will keep my hope high and really hope it will arrive safely without troubles.

So, while i am waiting the camera to arrive i have to decide my next move so quick, not sure what will be a better logic or practical move is.

1. Buy Pegasus Power Box [Ultimate] only so i can power the camera and everything else and have better cable and connection management
  2. 2 filters, one for DSO and one last for planets and just buy a power adapter for the camera
  3. 150mm achromatic refr + power adapter
  4. 6" F4 Newt [second one] + power adapter
  5. 12" F4 Newt + power adapter
  6. Just power adapter and keep searching and asking about what will be next plan

The main thing is a power for the camera, i will try to make some budget for extra things to make setup more complete or almost [i know it will never], as i don't want to keep always wasting months after years waiting budgets to buy accessories and extras, i decided this year i do less imaging for now until fall/winter so i am taking a nap, while i am napping i just can buy more stuff until say September, then after that i will wake up and start astro work.

Im also still working to get my start complete, but i havent found a justification for buying an expensive pegasus powerbox. After some advices, from members here, I bought 2 extra powersupplies, so now 3 in total. The one thats powering multiple items gives power through a splittercable.  

41B08663-D02F-4659-BDC1-76D65ED85361.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne

do be sure to cap off any on the spider that you aren't connecting to a device. These plugs can easily short if they touch against metal and if lucky just the PSU blows, if unlucky, well... fried mount electronics etc perhaps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

do be sure to cap off any on the spider that you aren't connecting to a device. These plugs can easily short if they touch against metal and if lucky just the PSU blows, if unlucky, well... fried mount electronics etc perhaps.

Yes sorry I forgot to mention.  They’re cheap! Bought the 2, 3 and 6 version to prevent hanging connectors.  But good you’ve mentioned the risks of course!

2 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Im also still working to get my start complete, but i havent found a justification for buying an expensive pegasus powerbox. After some advices, from members here, I bought 2 extra powersupplies, so now 3 in total. The one thats powering multiple items gives power through a splittercable.  

41B08663-D02F-4659-BDC1-76D65ED85361.jpeg

Splitter is a good idea as long the devices are close to each other, unless this cable is very long for each plug or port, but i don't have many devices for that anyway, so it won't be good idea if i end up using only one or two cables of the splitter at most.

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

It happened to me for the mount, it fried inside, bad news that i had to replace the motherboard only, the good news is that only one or two items damaged from that ruined motherboard, so maybe one day i can find those capacitors or resistors somewhere to replace then i can bring my old original motherboard back to life and keep it as a backup., and that all happened while i was using a 3rd party power adapter i bought from eBay.

10 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

It happened to me for the mount, it fried inside, bad news that i had to replace the motherboard only, the good news is that only one or two items damaged from that ruined motherboard, so maybe one day i can find those capacitors or resistors somewhere to replace then i can bring my old original motherboard back to life and keep it as a backup., and that all happened while i was using a 3rd party power adapter i bought from eBay.

Caused by these splitters?

it's to do with the type of plug and can apply to spliiters or the PSU lead but a splitter does increase the risk as something can be powered while a spare end makes contact and causes a short. The inner +ve isn't well shielded from accidental contact on these plug design, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Caused by these splitters?

Not splitters, but i am sure the power adapter i bought wasn't safe, as it received the shock and transferred it to the mount, until now i am not sure what was the main cause, is it mount loose power cable or is it the humidity/condensation in the board or the power adapter bad quality or maybe overload voltage by any mean?!!!

And that is why i asked as i can't trust which power supply or adapter to use, if i bought the ZWO advertised one then most likely they are safe, they won't put something with issues so people will report them, or using the power cable that is coming with Pegasus power device if i buy Pegasus.

Yesterday i was in a computer shop and they have a power adapter that they use for laptops and some devices, they have one with 12V and 5A which is the one that has been used with ZWO cameras, not sure about the price but i am not sure if they sell a quality one or it is just average that could last or could break.

50 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

And that is why i asked as i can't trust which power supply or adapter to use, if i bought the ZWO advertised one then most likely they are safe, they won't put something with issues so people will report them, or using the power cable that is coming with Pegasus power device if i buy Pegasus.

Yesterday i was in a computer shop and they have a power adapter that they use for laptops and some devices, they have one with 12V and 5A which is the one that has been used with ZWO cameras, not sure about the price but i am not sure if they sell a quality one or it is just average that could last or could break.

I had the same psu dilemma last month.  
Caused by the number of fried this and fried that posts here on sgl. I just couldn’t name a well known brand for powersupplies.  The most given advice was to look out for a lineair one sold by FLO or a safe “meanwell” psu brick.  So finally bought two of the meanwells.   Price is okay and quality(feel) even better. Size is the width of a tripod leg so perfect. I have to check but i remember i bought 12v 8a.  With some sort of extra safety standard for medical use.  Also adviced here.    Like €30,- each

Edited by Robindonne