NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?

Spongey

With my QHY268M I am still experimenting with flats.

I did use 25,000 but so far best final images I have obtained are not using any flats  so far. In fact a straight stack of uncalibrated lights has really given as good an image as any calibrations so far.
Now some of this might be my ding so cannot put too much on that yet as I need to do a few more tests yet.

Steve

I aimed for an ADU of 30k using the flats-aid tool built into APT. The exposure values the tool gave me are below and were used with a light panel (varying brightness and layers of t-shirt):

LRGB

L=7.5s, R=20s, G=16.5s, and B=22.75s

SHO

S=16.25s, H=12.5s, and OIII=8.25s

32 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have only taken Ha so far and for 25K tool 30S, which is a bit long perhaps but that was with full brightness of my panel. 
But also my Ha is 3.5 Nm so will take longer than your 6 nM. Difficult to compare as it depends on filters and light intensity.

Steve

Yes, I could save time by reducing the exposure time by adjusting the panel brightness per filter, but for convenience I use same brightness setting/tshirt layers for all LRGB filters, same for the SHO filters.

• Like 1

Managed 5 hours of SHO data on the Rosette. Nebula, again no glitches when collecting the data with APT (always worries me with a new camera!). That will prob be it now until next year under UK skies. Still need to experiment with flats/dark flats, its possible the flats are over compensating with the vignetting.  I may invest in a decent flats field panel, anyone use a smaller sized one of these for as refractor? https://www.365astronomy.com/lacerta-flatfield-box-flatfield-panel-for-8-200mm-newtonian-telescopes-mark-ii.html

v3.png

• Like 3