NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Skymax 127 on the SynScan mount vs the AZ-GTi

Hi all,

I'm still thinking of getting myself the SW Skymax 127. Currently, it's available on the AZ-GTi for £445 which I think is a pretty good price all told. But, it's also still available on the SynScan for just £389 at Rother Valley. Given that people are selling used ones of these for about the same, this looks like a bargain. I'd prefer the AZ-GTi because ultimately I think it will avail me of more opportunities for upgrading things in the future, not least that the AZ-GTi mount can hold 5kg - and I've seen people here say it can hold much more. 

But, although I don't have a problem with the idea of using the WiFi and my phone/tablet, I must admit that I'm drawn to the use of a physical handset. 

If it were you, what would you do?

The az-gti can also be used with a handset if in the future one was picked up. The az-gti skywatcher did a free firmware update with gives it an EQ mode where by it can be used on a wedge or used in alt az mode not on a wedge. There's a pro version of the mobile app that has the capability for that. Though I'm not sure if I had one I would use it in eq mode with the 127mm mak personally plus the finder scope position ends up in the wrong place.

You can add the wifi dongle to the older sltaz mount through it works only in alt az mode.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

If you are thinking about adding dual speed focuser, filter wheel, guider, camera etc, you may add quite a load to the OTA

(I would add  3+ kg at the mass budget above the OTA)

If you stay strictly observer, you can stay in the existing mass budget, but (in my opinion of course) a HEQ5 mount would be a nice platform for even larger scopes like the Skymax 150 and 180 and imaging. I understand that's a lot of set-up and weight and money to consider, though.

Cheers,

N.F.

On 04/07/2020 at 22:45, nfotis said:

If you are thinking about adding dual speed focuser, filter wheel, guider, camera etc, you may add quite a load to the OTA

(I would add  3+ kg at the mass budget above the OTA)

If you stay strictly observer, you can stay in the existing mass budget, but (in my opinion of course) a HEQ5 mount would be a nice platform for even larger scopes like the Skymax 150 and 180 and imaging. I understand that's a lot of set-up and weight and money to consider, though.

Cheers,

N.F.

It would be a lovely platform! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html -- this one?

18 minutes ago, sputniksteve said:

Yep, that's the one. I am eyeing it myself as well for my Skymax 127 or even bigger scopes (I am thinking about a Skymax 150, the 180 is cutting it rather close to load specs).

I would expect that it would take some days/nights of use before becoming an adequate user of this platform, so I would suggest first trying it on a rooftop or veranda and practice with the Moon and planets for a start. Using guiders, a laptop etc adds a good amount of complexity/automation (read the "Using EQMOD" article in the link for a foretaste). I would suggest limiting ourselves into learning polar alignment well, then use the standard remote control for the first weeks.

The next step up would be the NEQ6: practically the same head mechanism? (plus belt drive, for a quieter operation), AFAIK, plus a more substantial tripod. It'll be quite heavy, though for carrying every night over the stairs. Better for a permanent observation place (and you could replace the tripod with a pier in the future, if you need more stability).

I guess that carrying alone something heavier than the HEQ5 could become quickly a chore, though.

N.F.

On 04/07/2020 at 22:45, nfotis said:

Cheers,

N.F.

Actually, it's not my intention to be adding all of that kit tbh. I might try a DSLR or something. I know this set-up isn't going to allow me to do backyard Hubble images, but that's not entirely my interest at the moment. Having said that, I've seen some great DSO stuff done with just a decent mounted DSLR. I'm more interested in planetary at the mo. 

This purchase is intended to get me back into the hobby after some years out. Last time, I experienced aperture fever and bought a 12" LIghtbridge. I loved it. Stupidly sold it 2014. I want to go for something different this time round, but my long term plan is to build up an arsenal of 'scopes over the years. I shall probably for an 8" or 10" dobbie too at some point. Or maybe a little refractor to try on the AZ-GTi. 

My current plan of action for next few years is:

- Get SM127 on AZ-GTi mount

- Get a good quality eyepiece or two, and maybe a barlow

- Save up and get a biggish dob.

- Keep buying stuff.

If you want to buy multiple scopes, it may be a good idea to buy a single HEQ5 mount and be done with it?

Except if you want  a 'grab and go' set-up with the 127, in this case it would be OK to have its own separate Alt-Az mount...

N.F.

• 3 weeks later...

How those 2 mounts compare in terms of stability and weight capabilities?  as you said the GTi holds up to 5Kg  but I couldnt find how much the synscan does? also the single arm of the synscan can make it more vulnerable to vibrations?

I’ve used both of these and the SynScan mount us relatively flimsy compared with the az Gti. When you are moving to an object or centring using the controls it isn’t as precise. 

while not perfect the az Gti is more solid, you can disengage the clutches and manually move it and you can upgrade the  tripod to increase its stability. 

• Like 1

Hi there. I started with a skywatcher tabletop Mount. The 114p heritage. But after buying a 130pds found the mount useless. Too long a scope. So I bought a skywatcher Gti. The tripod gave me a better working height. I Then put a motorIsed focuser on and a guidecam and more finder scopes etc. Purchased a wedge And counter weight. Then had to add more counter weight to balance. updated the firmware for eq operation. I am really happy with the GTIMount. But struggled with guiding in Phd2 Managed about 2-3 arc secs at best. Weighing the kit I was well over the 5kg limit. I use this Mount now  with a dslr and up to 300mn lens. It’s light and really easy to setup and been wireless no power issues when out. Saving to the sd card on the camera.

I have now purchased a heq5 pro with belt mod. For my scope setup. Only had one clear night so far but had no problem guiding. And very sturdy.

I love the Gti Mount.  And will never part with it

• Like 1