Advice on future AP setup

Hi

So currently I've been using lenses (18-55m and 135mm) to do astrophotography, and recently managed to get my dslr (250d) to focus in my 8" dob, I got some nice images of the ring nebula and m13 so far as I've only been able to get out with it once. I was using the dob for primarily visual astronomy and that was the first thing I ever got.

My question is, when investing in more astrophotography equipment, do I save for a more expensive mount (EQ6), capable of handling the 8" dob (Bresser Messier) , or do I use the money to get a smaller refractor, say the 80ED evostar, and a HEQ5 mount? Any suggestions regarding alternative equipment to what I've suggested would be much appreciated

Apologies for the spam of questions lately, thank you for all for the answers they've really been helpful and I appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Agree with Peter, you would be much better with an ED80, it won't have the magnification of the Dobsonian, but will be much less problematic for some-one getting into imaging.

As stated a Modified DSLR would produce much better results than a non modified one, or better still a cooled imaging camera if you can afford it.  But you might want to take one step at a time.

Carole  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

I think that you would find the ED80 plus HEQ5 would give the best/easiest results. You also might want to consider a modded DSLR.

Peter

16 minutes ago, carastro said:

Agree with Peter, you would be much better with an ED80, it won't have the magnification of the Dobsonian, but will be much less problematic for some-one getting into imaging.

As stated a Modified DSLR would produce much better results than a non modified one, or better still a cooled imaging camera if you can afford it.  But you might want to take one step at a time.

Carole  

Thank you both for the replies this helps a bunch, in terms of a just getting into astrophotography, is the SW ED80 and HEQ5 both good pieces of equipment in terms of quality and cost? I was thinking of just using the standard unmodded DSLR until I can afford a dedicated astrophotography camera, also just a question for futures sake; would a cheaper CMOS AP camera in the price range of 200-300 be better than a modded DSLR for the job?

I have both the Skywatcher ED80 and the HEQ5 and find them excellent.  

I am not experienced with CMOS cameras as I started with a CCD camera before they came on the market.  But definitely if it is cooled it will be better than a modded DSLR. However I think some of the cheaper CMOS cameras are not cooled.   I'd continue with your current DSLR and save your pennies for a cooled CMOS camera. 

Many people use them now and are getting good results. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to play devils advocate here, but personally i would always start with the mount, this gives a level of future proofing your set up in the long run, the best telescope on an inadequate mount gives rubbish results. Guess what im saying is the mount provides the foundation for success, spending money here will allow your hobby to grow if you choose to upgrade your telescopes, cameras etc without having to buy another mount in the near future.

Edited by dark knight
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with Carole in general but a good cooled CMOS is quite expensive compared to a modded DSLR. It depends on your budget but you see modded DSLRs come up quite often on here for less than £300.  I have had some quite pleasing results with my 1200d Canon.

Peter

• Thanks 1