SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recent Smartphone Astro Shots

Some recent photos - all taken with a smartphone (Hauwei P20 Pro or P30 Pro) and either with a SW 130p on an untracked mount or a basic camera tripod

moon-2.thumb.jpg.8478fb123df2723e3bd45013da507404.jpg

milky-way.thumb.jpg.d0db91c42dcfd08b3d25f85676a33eee.jpg

First attempt at a DSO - Not too bad for a phone with a 1 sec exposure on an az mount - but I think I will wait for my DSLR!

galaxy.thumb.jpg.d51e1900942441bdb85a26bff5bb37ac.jpg

jupiter.thumb.jpg.dc739a9976c527f6b446556b57defe63.jpg

Edited by dd999
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Nice images. I presume Jupiter & Moons is a combination, I was imaging it the other evening & couldn’t expose for both in the same image? 

Yes exactly. Low ISO for Jupiter, then high for the moons - and combine them. 

You could probably just about do it in one, but the moons will be feint and Jupiter will more than likely be very washed out 

Edited by dd999

16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Love them! i had no idea you could capture DSO's with a phone.

Thanks. I didnt either. I was using an az mount, so exposure time had to be limited to 1.3 secs. 

The mount is az but have ordered the kit to turn in to an EQ mount.

Once it arrives I'm going to give the DSOs another go, using a mobile, but this time with a longer exposure time - hopefully it'll produce a slightly clearer result. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dd999 said:

Some great examples. Assume the second to last of the moon was through your dob?

Thanks.

I think it was - I ought to keep better records. The one of the straight wall was definitely with the dob.

The ones that I was most pleased with were the transit of Mercury, which I only managed to get a few minutes of due to clouds and getting the phase of Mercury when it was just a few arc seconds in apparent diameter. Both these were with my 100mm refractor.

20 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks.

I think it was - I ought to keep better records. The one of the straight wall was definitely with the dob.

The ones that I was most pleased with were the transit of Mercury, which I only managed to get a few minutes of due to clouds and getting the phase of Mercury when it was just a few arc seconds in apparent diameter. Both these were with my 100mm refractor.

6 hours ago, John said:

Here are a few of mine. The phone is an old Samsung S3 Mini. The scopes vary between 100 - 130mm refractors and my 12 inch dobsonian:

sol180419detail.jpg

rupesrecta.jpg

merctrans111119.jpg

merc200520final.jpg

venus200520.jpg

20200501_204427.jpg

apollo15site.jpg

A great collection John. I like the Apollo 15 site, the fact that you can pinpoint it from Earth with a phone image Is incredible. 

• Thanks 1