Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader 2"-1.25 Adapter

Hi all.

I was considering purchasing a badder clicklock adapter for my 300P and have been looking at the attached.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-2-125-adapter-2956214.html

I am considering this one as I have 8no  1.25" eye pieces & 1no 2" so this particular model seem to make the most sense to me.  The obvious advantages would be the faster less fiddly changing of eye pieces, Along with the main clamp hold the eye pieces centrally & securely. 

I wanted some opinions on this adapter before I purchase please. I would also like to check that my current BST's will gain focus OK while using this.

Thanks all

Baz

35 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

It's a very good adapter, and threaded on the bottom for 2" filters.

It also becomes a 1.25" attachment if threaded to a T2 thread, which could be useful in some camera configurations.

Thanks Don, appreciate the help.

just so I understand correctly. This click lock would replace the standard 1.25 to 2" adapter that came with the scope?

Would it effect gaining focus at all with a 300p?

I assume that it would trump the standard adapter on all fronts with my bst eye pieces.

Regards

Barry

The key thing is the optical length of the Baader adapter vs the optical length of your current one Barry. If they are markedly different, there maybe some issues with eyepieces coming to focus.

The Baader adapter has an optical length of 9.5mm. Your stock 1.25 inch adapter might be longer (possibly a lot longer) than that in which case, using the Baader adapter, you will need to rack your focuser out further to get an eyepiece to focus.

The other thing to check is whether your focuser, without the 1.25" adapter in, is really 2 inches in aperture. Quite a few Skywatcher focusers use a slightly oversize aperture which is why the eyepiece adapters (both 2 inch and 1.25 inch) have that tapered flange fitting at the bottom end. It is possible in that case that the Baader adapter will not fit snugly into the focuser tube.

Sorry about the complexity but Skywatcher do have the habit of using rather non-standard focuser fittings and adapters :rolleyes2:

41 minutes ago, John said:

The key thing is the optical length of the Baader adapter vs the optical length of your current one Barry. If they are markedly different, there maybe some issues with eyepieces coming to focus.

The Baader adapter has an optical length of 9.5mm. Your stock 1.25 inch adapter might be longer (possibly a lot longer) than that in which case, using the Baader adapter, you will need to rack your focuser out further to get an eyepiece to focus.

The other thing to check is whether your focuser, without the 1.25" adapter in, is really 2 inches in aperture. Quite a few Skywatcher focusers use a slightly oversize aperture which is why the eyepiece adapters (both 2 inch and 1.25 inch) have that tapered flange fitting at the bottom end. It is possible in that case that the Baader adapter will not fit snugly into the focuser tube.

Sorry about the complexity but Skywatcher do have the habit of using rather non-standard focuser fittings and adapters :rolleyes2:

I've just remembered that you have upgraded the focuser on your 12 inch so much of the above won't apply now. Sorry about that :embarassed:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

I've just remembered that you have upgraded the focuser on your 12 inch so much of the above won't apply now. Sorry about that :embarassed:

No worries John, appreciate you took the time to post that info.

I assume that the optical length of 9.5mm will still require more travel to gain focus. I don't have a huge amount of outwards focus left now so am mindful that I might need a longer Baader click lock. However all the others seem to be 2"

It depends on how much optical length your current adapter has. If it is a low profile one that just uses a few mm then the Baader will mean that you need a bit more inward focuser travel to get an eyepiece to focus. If your current adapter is high profile then the opposite might apply.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, John said:

It depends on how much optical length your current adapter has. If it is a low profile one that just uses a few mm then the Baader will mean that you need a bit more inward focuser travel to get an eyepiece to focus. If your current adapter is high profile then the opposite might apply.

I am using the standard adapter that came with the scope. It is just under 50mm in length. When I focus currently I would say i am using roughly 35mm of the travel and there is around 15mm of tube still inside the aperture. If I was to change to the Badder does that mean I would most likeley need to use more inward focus. If so I have plenty to use. If I would need more outward then i dont have a huge amount to play with.

If i understand correctly, The baader is only 9.5mm so quite a bit shorter than the standard adapter. so I think I would need to use the inward focus i have available.

Thanks John

Regards

DSC_0763.jpg

10 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

If i understand correctly, The baader is only 9.5mm so quite a bit shorter than the standard adapter. so I think I would need to use the inward focus i have available

No. You should also have a 2" adaptor that is roughly the same length as your 1.25" adaptor. You would leave the original 2" adaptor in the telescope all the time and then put the Baader Clicklock in the 2" adaptor when you want to use 1.25" eyepieces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

No. You should also have a 2" adaptor that is roughly the same length as your 1.25" adaptor. You would leave the original 2" adaptor in the telescope all the time and then put the Baader Clicklock in the 2" adaptor when you want to use 1.25" eyepieces. 

Right now I get it. Thanks Ricochet. I do have a 2" adapter the same length that I can use. I thought that with the baader clicklock I would be doing away with adapters and attaching directly to the focus tube. However that is not the case.

So with the adapter & clicklock attached the eye piece is going to sit approximately 10mm further out, requiring more inward focus?

Regards

Baz

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Right now I get it. Thanks Ricochet. I do have a 2" adapter the same length that I can use. I thought that with the baader clicklock I would be doing away with adapters and attaching directly to the focus tube. However that is not the case....

Looks like my earlier post DID apply to your focuser after all.

You do need the 2 inch adapter because the focuser drawtube is a bit over 2 inches in diameter so you can't put the Baader adapter straight into it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Antares do one that a number of people say is decent. I dont know the dimensions, although I thought I read somewhere it was smaller. It is however definetky chearper:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-2-125-twist-lock-adaptor-.html

Celestron, W/O orion also do ones, it might be worth checking out others for the specs. The baader seems to be the most expensive of the bunch too.