Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

filters, where to start

Hi,

I have collected more and more gear over time as I discovered astrophotography.  I recently got an ASI294MC-pro camera and am now faced with the last choice of material (for now 🙂 ): filters

I have read how people say: the best filters are those you use most, but that does not help anyone starting without filters.

I am mostly interested in photographing DSO's: nebulae and galaxies, most often from a Borttle class 4 location, sometimes from home class 8

I understand I need a IR/UV cut filter as standard

But then I am looking for a light pollution filter.  I hear and see discussions about UHC filters, IDAS, CLS, L-pro or other filters, all filtering more or less signal.  I understand all the different city might, but also that more and more cities are starting to use LED lights so  the million dollar question:

What should I get?

I understand you cannot choose for me, but maybe you have some insight in how you chose?

Thx

Edward

Edited by Edward Dewolf

5 minutes ago, carastro said:

Is that a OSC camera you have?

If so I think the Optolong duaband filters are very good as they enable Ha and Oiii to be captured all in one on a coloured camera.

Carole   

Thank you Carol, I have been eying that one for when I want to do some narrow band later on in the year 🙂

• 2 weeks later...