Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question re. the Maplins XM19V PSU...

Hi All,[br /]I've just purchased one of these XM19V PSU units from Maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=231&DOY=6m1) for use with my EQ6 Pro Synscan (white one with GOTO) and Kendrick DigiFire7 dew heater controller.[br /][br /]I plan on putting the PSU in my garage and then running a cable (from Andy at Astronomiser) to the mount. Currently I do not have mains power fitted in my garage therefore I'm running a standard B&Q 4 plug extension reel from the house to the garage. In addition, the extension reel is plugged into a normal four plug extension cable plugged into the mains within my house.[br /][br /]My question is will plugging the PSU (XM19V) into an extension reel that in turn is plugged into a standard extension cable that is plugged into the mains cause any issues? The instructions that came with the PSU state that is must be earthed, will it still be earthed if I'm using extension cables?[br /][br /]Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not very good when it comes to electricity.[br /][br /]I would appreciate any help regarding this.

If you are not running an RCD protected extention lead, STOP USING THIS RIGHT NOW UNTIL YOU ARE!!. I cannot think of anything more likely to kill anyone than mixing electricity with condensation, in the dark, and all alone. And do not assume that the RCD on the entire house circuit will save you.

As someone told me a long time ago, your other half really doesnt want to find you dead in the garden in the morning, thats far too much hassle with paperwork :hello2:

Oh, and I use the same Maplins PSU in my setup, and I protect it from dew/condensation by covering anything that is mains powered by a large plastic box, and run it from a camping RCD extention lead (with 3 pin adapter)

I plan on keeping the PSU within the garage which is relatively dry and warmish (certainly warmer than the outside) and running a cable directly from the PSU to the EQ6. So long as I attach an RCD between the extension reel and PSU I should be ok...right?? :scratch:

As Craig mentioned, the RCD really needs to be in as soon as possible. Its not the Maplins power supply we should be concerned about, its the mains power leading into anything... and that includes the extention leads.

You can get RCD plug units that fit into wall sockets (if used inside), and have a main socket on the back to plug stuff into. That would protect you from the wall socket, rather than from just the far end of the extention lead.

Right oh and thanks for all the advice![br /][br /]I have been using the extension leads with my old mount (CG5) and dew system for a year without any bother but I must confess I didn't even consider the safety issues with condensation and power (I should of really, I come from a very safety orientated family and employment background!). I do have an RDC that I can plug into the mains socket within the house which will then be first in the chain of extensions :hello2: .[br /][br /]So long as the number of extensions will not affect the performance of the PSU then I can now go out and buy the correct length of cable from Andy at Astronomiser to power the mount and dew heaters, etc.[br /][br /]Thanks again to SteveL, Whippy and Blinky for your help, very much appreciated chaps!

Just a though, but should you really run anything off an extension cable plugged into another extension cable?

I'm no electrical expert, but that sounds like trouble!

Why not get yourself a length of cable to the correct size, add a plug and a socket with the RCD. You can pick it all up from somewhere like B&Q easily and cheaply. As long as you can wire a plug and cut cables to size, you should be ok.

You have a good point and it's probably not the best solution but I've been doing it for a little while now and not had any issues so far.[br /][br /]My main concern (and the reason for this posting) was to identify if having multiple extensions would compromise the amount of power the PSU would send to the mount (and the dew heater).[br /][br /]The issue I've had recently is the mount (EQ6) behaving funny probably due to incorrect power supply. Hence the reason for buying the XM19V, I'd read that many others on this forum had bought the same PSU for their EQ6 mounts.

I would imagine there is a reasonable +/- tolerance regarding supply voltage, but the frequency is the important factor.

The electro magnetic induction, resulting in the secondary voltage, is dependent on frequency, and not voltage.

However, the protection in the conditions your are operating, are still paramount.

If you intend to rely on this power Supply to your scope mount, You should consider a permanent cabling to an all weather supply point with RCD porotection. It would be useful for all sorts of operations,. Lawnmower for example. :hello2:

Ron.

Thanks Ron. I have to confess you lost me on the first part of your posting does it mean that I can get away with multiple extensions? :hello2: [br /][br /]There is a power line from the mains in the house to the garage but it needs to be connected to a board and then both mains and lighting rings setup. I know an electrical contractor that lives at the bottom of my road who will help me with this, but that's a job for the summer.[br /][br /]Note: I bought a nice new petrol mower last summer (much better than electrical mowers) :D

The main concern of all of us, highlighted by SteveL, is that you, and anyone else who may accompany you, to operate in complete safety. For the short term, use a portable power tank to power your needs, whilst working towards a properly installed mains station, which offers you the full protection of RCD. You then have no safety worries. Mains electricity, and damp conditions can be lethal, make no mistake about it.

Ron.

Thanks again Ron for the advice. To put your mind at rest, I do have a background in safety so I am aware of the hazards of using electrical items in damp conditions.[br /][br /]The PSU I have purchased will be kept and used in a dry and relatively warm garage. The extensions leads I use also start or terminate in either the house or the garage. None of these items will ever be located outside or anywhere in which, it may be possible for them to incur condensation. Any items that use electricity (with the exception of the mount) and that have to be located near the mount or scope (i.e. the dew heater controller) are placed in a plastic storage box. None of these items have suffered from damp or condensation in the last couple of years that I've been using them.[br /][br /]Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm now waiting for Andy at Astronomiser to provide a quote for some longer power cables so that I can put the PSU in the house if required.

Thanks again Ron for the advice. To put your mind at rest, I do have a background in safety so I am aware of the hazards of using electrical items in damp conditions.[br /][br /]The PSU I have purchased will be kept and used in a dry and relatively warm garage. The extensions leads I use also start or terminate in either the house or the garage. None of these items will ever be located outside or anywhere in which, it may be possible for them to incur condensation. Any items that use electricity (with the exception of the mount) and that have to be located near the mount or scope (i.e. the dew heater controller) are placed in a plastic storage box. None of these items have suffered from damp or condensation in the last couple of years that I've been using them.[br /][br /]Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm now waiting for Andy at Astronomiser to provide a quote for some longer power cables so that I can put the PSU in the house if required.

OK Steve, It sure wasn't my aim to be an old whinger, preaching to the already wise. :laughing2: Most guys are well aware of the hazards, but this helps to get it across to others reading it, that the dangers are very real, and it doesn't pay to take risks.

I'm sure you will get it all sorted to your satisfaction, and get loads of superb astronomy from your setup.

Ron. :salute:

Archived