NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MyFocuserPro motor not moving

3 minutes ago, 8324689 said:

Thanks for all this. Ive just ordered more boards so hopefully will arrive tomorrow and I can try again.

Really really appreciate it.. thanks 

on a Sunday lucky you are they from the smiley face company?

Yep its pretty handy but the postie here takes ages, Im not complaining as they have it tough at the moment but its great to use smiley face as i have limited time to do stuff like this with kids n work

• Like 1

Adjusting the Stepper Motor manually It is best to use a ceramic or plastic screwdriver when adjusting the pot. I would suggest a plastic knitting needle which has the end filed down to look like a screwdriver.

1. With the controller connected via USB, and 12V power to the driver board, set the focuser position to 0 and the Motor Speed to SLOW

2. Set the step mode to what set on the driver board "Full default all dip switches 0 "

3. Enter a focuser position of 5000 and click the Goto button

4. Wind the pot all the way anticlockwise until the motor stops moving

5. Now very slowly turn the pot clockwise until you see the motor start to turn. If the maxSteps is reached, just reset the focuser position to 0 and then type in 5000 for the position and click Goto again

6. Slowly turning the pot, when you see the stepper start to move ok without jerking, then slowly turn no more than 1/8th clockwise from that point

7. It should now be close enough

8. If you go too far then there will be too much current and the motor will run hot. You should use no more than 12V external power On some driver-boards clockwise might be anticlockwise. Once current is set, the stepper motor should run smoothly without missing steps (a missed step will be a sudden jerk which you will be able to feel or hear). If there is any of this, you might need to ever so slightly turn it a little more. Be careful as a little turn can make significant changes in current

16 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

on the nema17-PG27 there are 5370 steps per revolution full step and 10740 in half step mode

OK so we think Im ok to go with this once its moving and motor not getting hot?

4 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Adjusting the Stepper Motor manually It is best to use a ceramic or plastic screwdriver when adjusting the pot. I would suggest a plastic knitting needle which has the end filed down to look like a screwdriver.

1. With the controller connected via USB, and 12V power to the driver board, set the focuser position to 0 and the Motor Speed to SLOW

2. Set the step mode to what set on the driver board "Full default all dip switches 0 "

3. Enter a focuser position of 5000 and click the Goto button

4. Wind the pot all the way anticlockwise until the motor stops moving

5. Now very slowly turn the pot clockwise until you see the motor start to turn. If the maxSteps is reached, just reset the focuser position to 0 and then type in 5000 for the position and click Goto again

6. Slowly turning the pot, when you see the stepper start to move ok without jerking, then slowly turn no more than 1/8th clockwise from that point

7. It should now be close enough

8. If you go too far then there will be too much current and the motor will run hot. You should use no more than 12V external power On some driver-boards clockwise might be anticlockwise. Once current is set, the stepper motor should run smoothly without missing steps (a missed step will be a sudden jerk which you will be able to feel or hear). If there is any of this, you might need to ever so slightly turn it a little more. Be careful as a little turn can make significant changes in current

Thanks for this....

I think IM good to go as its not getting hot and is moving......

Perhaps a fluke but seems to be working....

Edited by 8324689
  • Like 1

if going direct drive and you have the metal L bracket then you can see a couple of designs in the zip file from Robert as well as belt driven if you have access to a 3d printer. I take it your plans are for the sw200p is it dual speed focuser?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

if going direct drive and you have the metal L bracket then you can see a couple of designs in the zip file from Robert as well as belt driven if you have access to a 3d printer. I take it your plans are for the sw200p is it dual speed focuser?

Great thanks will have a look

Yes for 200p single speed TS Optics focuser _ill go direct. I find it fiddly though. I might revert to the stock one. Seems way more solid. Ill test the TS one first though

Hmm Its "working" but Im  a bit dubiuos of it...

I havent been able to get the right coupler yet so cant connect it up but.....

If you look at his video at 43:23 his 500 (on a PG5) steps is approx over 1/4 a turn 

Where as 500 steps on my video 01:25

PG27 is approx 1/8 a turn a soo much slower

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNXA323mR928PDho8

Is this ok as they are different model steppers?

Thanks

Nema17-PG5 has 1036 steps per revolution (Full Step) = 3 steps per degree of revolution  so 500 steps = 166 degree's

Nema17-PG27 has 5370 steps per revoution (Full Step) = 15 steps per degree of revolution  so 500 steps = 33 degree's

if this helps and my maths correct 

I have the PG27 as this give's finer control and more torque

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long story ! Thanks for asking

200p mirror chassis broke - tradgedy

So I managed to get a Starwave 102ed :)

Had to re-sort new couplers and mounting brackets, and general new scope bits etc...

Managed to do so but waiting on clear nights to sort  NINA and plate solving etc with manual focus 1st and once comfortable with new scope will move over to auto focus

I managed to get NINA talking to it but thats all

• Like 1