Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is AR2735?

George Gearless

Ok, ready for a newbie question?

I've browsed Astrobin as well as this site for inspirational pictures since I've recently acquired a Daystar Quark. Often there is a number attached to the picture such as in the title. So I tried to google it and see what came up. Apparently AR2735 is the flight number from Jigaz to Buenos Aires in Argentina. In other words, google was no help.

My guess is that it has something to do with the location on the sun. But I have no idea how that works on a (sometimes) featureless object or where I can get more info about it. Maybe there's a helpful soul here that could point me in the right direction?

AR means Active Region - in other words, a Sunspot. Each Sunspot is given a number when it appears in view.

AR2735 was a while ago. AR2765 just moved over the limb a couple of days ago.

Have a look at SolarHam.com or GONG, among others.

Stay on the bright side and enjoy that Quark. I kinda miss mine ...

• Thanks 1

AR stands for active region. In this case AR2735 was the active region (sun spot) that moved across the solar disc over the last week or so. Each AR is given a sequential number, so the next one will be AR2736 but we could be waiting a while as we are at solar minimum.

Must type faster next time !!!

Edited by Freddie
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1