Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m5

Hi everyone

This was supposed to be a warm up before heading south but conditions were worsening as the slight breeze gave way to pin-drop stillness. Managed 2 hours before the haze got soup-like and so making yet another session with Sagittarius in the no-go zone.

I can't get the core stars resolved properly. This was a -poor- attempt using DarkTable's parametric mask, selecting the central bit of the core. Looks promising, but it's gonna need a few more rehearsals. Meanwhile, any other not-based-on-layer-mask-with-2-exposures-or-stretches most welcome.

Clear skies and thanks for looking.

700d @ ISO800

68150441_2-5(copy).thumb.jpg.16df16a6cffceac95c73f4b8dde2a76f.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 12

It looks nicely resolved to the core to me. I haven't imaged M5 myself other than in widefield but other renditions show a bright inner core as yours does. If I had a doubt it would be that, for this location in the sky, it's quite colour cold. But the stars are small and tight. Impressive in my view. The mist probably gobbled up the faint warm golden colours we might expect.

Olly

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your time and comments.

Yeah, colour. By far the most difficult bit of the process. For me at least.

Rather than use my eyes, I left it to Siril's photometric module. This was against NOMAD data. It could be that different databases give different colour. More variables!

Cheers

Your colour is in broad agreement with Hubble. It just needs more saturation to bring it even closer.  https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/messier-5

Could you mask out the background sky and increase the colour in the stars? I use two non-saturation-based colour intensifying methods in Ps but I don't know your software.

Olly