NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Images with skymax 127 mak

Hi I have taken some images of the strawberry moon with my 127 mak using nexyz phone mount using iPhone 10 Xs max. I have then used an app called infinity photo on my iPad Pro to help sharpen the images.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am waiting for the asi air pro and the ASI 183MC ordered from FLO so cant wait to get some images with that set up. 

Regards 

Matt 

83F4283A-9F8A-4BCA-819D-F6ADAFB2A56F.png

622CF52B-497F-45EE-967D-8A8A6E9122E9.png

• Like 7

Amazing what you can do with a camera phone now! On the second one, it does look a bit soft. Is it possible to stack pictures using your phone? You can take a video but I don't know about the file formats. Just make sure it's as sharp as you can get it too. It's harder to do with a full moon. The terminator on a partial moon really helps you to see details and fine tune your focus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Messy Hair 101 said:

Amazing what you can do with a camera phone now! On the second one, it does look a bit soft. Is it possible to stack pictures using your phone? You can take a video but I don't know about the file formats. Just make sure it's as sharp as you can get it too. It's harder to do with a full moon. The terminator on a partial moon really helps you to see details and fine tune your focus.

Hi I don’t think you can stack photos with an iPhone but I did struggle getting the full moon Image to focus I’m wondering if it’s because it’s so bright even with a moon filter and the phone struggled I did use an app called slow shutter specifically designed for night photos plus I can actually take the photo by using the same app on my iwatch so I don’t have to touch the scope at all which minimises any shake 

On 09/06/2020 at 20:14, Knighter said:

Hi I don’t think you can stack photos with an iPhone but I did struggle getting the full moon Image to focus I’m wondering if it’s because it’s so bright even with a moon filter and the phone struggled I did use an app called slow shutter specifically designed for night photos plus I can actually take the photo by using the same app on my iwatch so I don’t have to touch the scope at all which minimises any shake 

Maybe there's a way to pull the images off the phone to a computer and stack them, depending on format, or someone has made an app to do it. I'm sure there are people here who know more about it than I do. Still, they're great images for single shots, just keep working on getting the best focus and doing things like remotely triggering the camera will really help.

What you said about the brightness and shutter speed is interesting. You want the fastest possible shutter speed and lowest ISO to try and get a sharp image. That's probably easier with a dedicated astro cam or DSLR where you have more control. The other issue is the seeing which will cause the moon to "wobble" a bit and make focus harder. Stacking would help with the former.

I like the first one.  

I got the feeling that I was in a spaceship looking out of the window with the left corner vignette crop. 

Nice composition.

Edited by Philip R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/06/2020 at 20:14, Knighter said:

You should be able to use pipp software https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/to convert the video files to tiff, ser or avi output I think and then stack in autostackket3 software https://www.autostakkert.com/

Edited by LeeHore7

On 26/06/2020 at 00:39, sputniksteve said:

Hi Matt,

Which eyepieces did you use for these? Did you use the ones that come with the Skymax?

The first image is absolutely gorgeous. 

Is the blue tint on the edging of the second image - chromatic aberration? 

Hi Steve, I used a zoom lens the problem is you can see exactly what magnification you are on bu it’s around 16mm I think. The zoom is 8mm to 24mm 

8 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

You should be able to use pipp software https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/to convert the video files to tiff, ser or avi output I think and then stack in autostackket3 software https://www.autostakkert.com/

Hi Lee thanks i have used slow shutter with good results with my iPhone, but I have made the switch to ASIAIR pro with one of their ccd cameras I have all the kit apart from the mount which I ordered about 2 months ago and still waiting. I have ordered the ioptron cemp-25. I sold I’m other mount several weeks ago to help pay for it all so now waiting.....not so patiently anymore 

• Like 1