NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyFi III wifi device with software other than SkySafari ?

I know the SkyFi III wifi device can connect almost any make and model of goto telescope, but how universal is it for software other than Sky Safari ?

It works brilliantly with SkySafari 6 on my Andoid tablet, but I haven't managed to get it working with my PC running Stellarium.

I can connect successfully via Stellarium's "direct cable connection" using the skywatcher serial cable, with a USB adapter at the PC end, and plugging the RJ12 connector into the second socket on the base of the Synscan controller.

When I use the same serial lead plugged into the RS232 socket on the SkyFi III however, I can't get Stellarium to connect via wifi. 

I thought the SkyFi simulated a standard com port via wifi ?

..That went down well... 🙂

I've found a work-around however.

My main wish to be able to run other planetarium applications through the SkyFi III was to enable me to use it through my PC, as well as my Android tablet.

...because SkySafari only runs on Android and IOS.

I've now discovered that my Android emulator on my PC (Bluestacks), runs SkySafari perfectly and connects to the SkyFi via wifi with no problems.

As it's also happy to run in a window alongside other PC apps, I can now use SkySafari to control the scope and Sharpcap to run the camera, on the same PC at the same time. 👍

Not only that, but the hand controller is still in the loop and can be used for manually nudging the scope whilst looking through the eyepiece.

....not only that, but the whole caboodle works with my Starsense autoalign for Skywatcher too, (with the SkyFi plugged into the Starsense's USB socket in the handset.)

At last (famous last words - again), I can run any of my goto mounts via my Android tablet or my PC and still have the hand controller operational.

I must admit, I'm really moving over to SkySafari Pro from Stellarium, the interface and display seem even nicer, and there's a lot more pro-active "suggestion" content for what to look out for at any particular night's viewing.

...and I've even now discovered that I can import my own panorama background into it too, just like Stellarium, so I can actually see when Planets are visible to my slightly obscured Southern horizon (nearby houses), when the ecliptic path is so low in the Summer.

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Like 1

That sounds excellent! I love SkySafari and do think it is more capable than Stellarium. I guess it comes down to personal preference but it does everything I need it to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

My main wish to be able to run other planetarium applications through the SkyFi III was to enable me to use it through my PC, as well as my Android tablet.

I've now discovered that my Android emulator on my PC (Bluestacks), runs SkySafari perfectly and connects to the SkyFi via wifi with no problems.

As it's also happy to run in a window alongside other PC apps, I can now use SkySafari to control the scope and Sharpcap to run the camera, on the same PC at the same time. 👍

I can't comment on your issue with Stellarium, but I use Starry Night 8 Pro (from the SkyFi people) to control my telescope (with the Celestron Skyportal module). That has native support for the Skyfi module as well, but if you are happy with your solution I'd save the money. Starry Night can be a bit of a resource hog if you are using the same laptop to image with as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I can't comment on your issue with Stellarium, but I use Starry Night 8 Pro (from the SkyFi people) to control my telescope (with the Celestron Skyportal module). That has native support for the Skyfi module as well, but if you are happy with your solution I'd save the money. Starry Night can be a bit of a resource hog if you are using the same laptop to image with as well.

Thanks for that Shimrod.

I'll do a bit of Googling on it.

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2020 at 09:24, Astro-Geek said:

Not only that, but the hand controller is still in the loop and can be used for manually nudging the scope whilst looking through the eyepiece.

....not only that, but the whole caboodle works with my Starsense autoalign for Skywatcher too, (with the SkyFi plugged into the Starsense's USB socket in the handset.)

At last (famous last words - again), I can run any of my goto mounts via my Android tablet or my PC and still have the hand controller operational.

I must admit, I'm really moving over to SkySafari Pro from Stellarium, the interface and display seem even nicer, and there's a lot more pro-active "suggestion" content for what to look out for at any particular night's viewing.

...and I've even now discovered that I can import my own panorama background into it too, just like Stellarium, so I can actually see when Planets are visible to my slightly obscured Southern horizon (nearby houses), when the ecliptic path is so low in the Summer.

I’m really interested in running everything via WiFi through my phone/PC, and from what I know (which isn’t much..) about skyfi and starsense this sounds like you’ve achieved it? I’ve just bought SkySafari 6 plus and it looks great, and connecting it to the skyfi III looks like a really straightforward way of using it for visual, which is what I’m interested in to begin with. 

I will eventually go into AP tho, which I know requires a much more complicated set up. Do you do any AP and if so does your WiFi system work for it all? Such as autoguiding, camera control etc. 

If the skyfi is useless for AP then I probably won’t get it. If it can be used I will almost certainly get it, unless there are better other WiFi options of course.

Ben