Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI 2400 new sensor :)

Gorr_77

new ZWO CMOS for longer FL :)

$3,699.00

ASI2400MC Pro uses Sony latest back-illuminated IMX410 full frame format 14-bit ADC sensor. It is a 24MP camera with a big pixel size of 5.94um that can accommodate a super large well depth of 100ke.

ASI2400MC-Pro-21-1024x435.jpg.c8691491c4ed94432904bb616f3a24d7.jpg

ASI2400-sensor-2.jpg.d788abc5ad2ef3b8a91c37b9458d4bb9.jpg

ASI2400-sensor-1-460x460.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting camera, and a mono version would be even more interesting, possibly even more so than the IMX 455 based cameras. Had a look on the ZWO site where there's more info including a price.

Wondering when it will hit the @FLO website?

I also wonder if anyone else finds the 54mm thread worryingly small? After all the SX 35mm sized cameras have 72mm thread.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Interesting camera, and a mono version would be even more interesting, possibly even more so than the IMX 455 based cameras. Had a look on the ZWO site where there's more info including a price.

Wondering when it will hit the @FLO website?

I also wonder if anyone else finds the 54mm thread worryingly small? After all the SX 35mm sized cameras have 72mm thread.

Looks a great camera ! 

The M54 thread could be a potential issue for scopes faster than F5. I had some minor issues with my asi 6200mm trying to get the correct adapter that was wide enough internally to stop reflections/vignetting. In the end Ive decided to use the m68 OAG as a bolted adapter without the stalk. I got this idea from a few others on cloudy nights doing the same thing. It would be cool if zwo could have a shorter adapter to bolt onto the FW. 

Although it’s not likely an issue with this camera as it’s OSC and doesn’t need a FW just be wary that 2” mounted filters cause substantial reflections as the light cone hits the filter mount. I have reported this to zwo on the asi forum and again I’ve not been the only one. Thankfully I’ve had excellent support from @FLO and was able to swap the 2” mounted filters for unmounted. Remember that if your using an IDAS D2 mounted filter this is only 43mm internal diameter and the baader 2” mounted are only 45.4mm. Again if your scope is slower than F5 then this might not be an issue. 

Anyway those minor issues aside the camera is wonderful 😀👌and I’m trying to convince my wife that I need another to replace my asi 071.

I hope that helps a little. I’ll write up a full report on the asi 6200mm in the near future but those points above may also be relevant for this camera. 

2” mounted filter issue - 

FBE2C007-2572-42E8-9A3B-2C052988574B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was kicking around filter sizes for a possible IMX 455 camera installation and came to the conclusion that I would need 2" / 50mm / 50.8mm unmounted.

But I'm holding out until I see what other players in the field come up with, especially SX.

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I was kicking around filter sizes for a possible IMX 455 camera installation and came to the conclusion that I would need 2" / 50mm / 50.8mm unmounted.

But I'm holding out until I see what other players in the field come up with, especially SX.

Yea I wish I had known that before getting them, would have saved me a few nights of trying to find the problem! I thought it was a laptop reflection at first so I painted the inside of the observatory chalk black. Haha it looks better now anyway.

It’s  odd then that zwo are actively promoting 2”mounted filters with this camera. I think at least people should be advised that anything below f5 is unmounted filter territory for this camera. Lucky FLO are very understanding but I read a few others have had to buy a second set ! 

With the asi 2400mc you’ll likely only need an LP filter and maybe HA or Oiii so perhaps the zwo filter drawer would be better ? If so it may well be closer to the sensor, but I doubt it. 

I did consider the OSC version of the 6200 (Same size as the 2400) and looked at filter drawers that could take a multi-narrowband filter. I think I ended up looking at TS as they do a range of drawers and holders.

But in any case, I'm strictly mono so will hope that a monochrome version of the sensor becomes available, else it's the 6200 and its eye-watering file sizes.