Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser or Skywatcher... Is there much difference?

Hello fellow lookers to the skies.

Im about to purchase a scope and would be greatful if anyone could shed some light on whether there is actually any difference in the these 2 manufacturers/scopes.

Bresser and Skywatcher both do a 150/750 f5 Newtonian.

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Telescopes/BRESSER-Messier-NT-150S-750-Hexafoc-Optical-Tube.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

The only differences I can see are:

Skywatcher has a dual speed focuser, Bresser doesnt. 

Bresser has 55mm Secondary mirror Skywatcher slighty smaller at 47mm

And the weight 4.9 for the SW and 5.5 for the Bresser.

I have had a scout aroung the topics here and cant find a lot on bresser scopes. Is there much in terms of build quality etc.

Anyone have personal experience using either of these? 

Thanks 

Basicly Bresser has better build quality but Skywatcher is OK. 

The Bresser has a much higher quality CNC rack and pinion focuser than the low end crayford on the Skywatcher. Can handle a lot more load. Dual speed knob is an option and might aswell buy it at the same time as the scope. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Basicly Bresser has better build quality but Skywatcher is OK. 

The Bresser has a much higher quality CNC rack and pinion focuser than the low end crayford on the Skywatcher. Can handle a lot more load. Dual speed knob is an option. 

The cost of the 2 scopes is pretty much the same too, think the Bresser may be the one to get then. 

Hi

My experience with sw is largely unprintable. I have the Bresser Messier nt150s and the 208 f3.9. Both worlds apart when compared to the sw; build quality, aluminium alloy tube, proper 2 1/2" focuser and clean tight stars. Both cover aps-c with the minimum of drop-off.

HTH

**edit: My nt150s came with a dual speed focuser. Maybe ask at the time of ordering?

Edited by alacant

28 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

My experience with sw is largely unprintable. I have the Bresser Messier nt150s and the 208 f3.9. Both worlds apart when compared to the sw; build quality, aluminium alloy tube, proper 2 1/2" focuser and clean tight stars. Both cover aps-c with the minimum of drop-off.

HTH

**edit: My nt150s came with a dual speed focuser. Maybe ask at the time of ordering?

Defintely worth a try! if you don't aask you don't get..

I also have the Bresser Messier nt150s. Never owned a pds, but the larger secondary, the 2.5" inch focuser (single speed) and the fact that when focused to infinity with a dslr, places the protruding focuser tube just outside of the light cone (a problem known to 130pds owners), made my decision in favour of the Bresser.

2 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I also have the Bresser Messier nt150s. Never owned a pds, but the larger secondary, the 2.5" inch focuser (single speed) and the fact that when focused to infinity with a dslr, places the protruding focuser tube just outside of the light cone (a problem known to 130pds owners), made my decision in favour of the Bresser.

Brilliant, thank you. I think its all vote for the Bresser. Will definetly go for it.

• Like 1