SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M97 - The Owl Nebula

Taman

This planetary nebula is located about 2000 light years away in the constellation of Ursa Major (the Great Bear).

Taken last night, making the most of what darkness we have left!

As there is so little noise, I decided to include a crop of the original image, showing a hint of a faint halo around the nebula. 

32 x 300s, with darks, flats and dark flats. Total exposure time 2 hours 40 minutes.

C11 at 1700mm, ASI294MC Pro camera cooled to -12C, gain 126, Optolong L-Pro filter.

m97.jpg

m97a.jpg

• Like 13

Wowsers - just 2 hours 40 minutes?

The background looks a bit on the dark side on my laptop (but I don't trust this screen!) and I reckon that's outstanding for under 3 hours at 1700mm f/l.

3 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Wowsers - just 2 hours 40 minutes?

The background looks a bit on the dark side on my laptop (but I don't trust this screen!) and I reckon that's outstanding for under 3 hours at 1700mm f/l.

Thank you! Yes, I'm amazed how well this combination is working. Don't think I'll be going back to a DSLR for a while. 🙂

The background is definitely not black (at least not on my screen).

• 1 month later...

That's a very impressive image!

How are you getting on with the Optolong L-Pro filter please? I am considering buying one over a CLS because it's reported as being less harsh and does not have as much of a colour balance shift, but it is significantly more expensive so hearing your views would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FaB-Bo-Peep said:

That's a very impressive image!

How are you getting on with the Optolong L-Pro filter please? I am considering buying one over a CLS because it's reported as being less harsh and does not have as much of a colour balance shift, but it is significantly more expensive so hearing your views would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Thanks Ian!

I'm really pleased with the Optolong L-Pro. Yes it's expensive, but probably one of the best purchases I've ever made! 🙂

If you look at the Telescopius link in my profile, the last 11 images were taken with this filter. It has made a huge difference.

I have not tried it with the DSLR yet, but I think it will do well.

Tony.

• Like 1

Thanks Tony,

Your response is very much appreciated.

The above along with your images, (which speak for themselves), have convinced me that going for the much cheaper CLS filter would in the end be a false economy. I do like my coloured stars and the fact that your images have retained this has convinced me. I compared your M13 to my recent attempt and could absolutely live with the colours you have captured.

Right so that's me convinced, now just need buy a bottle of wine and convince my wife!

😀

• Like 1