Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions on Goto mount

Hello All,

I am wondering if a Explore scientific iEXOS-100 is worth getting. I have a celestron 127eq and dslr camera for it. Any opinions or insight? I did see many different reviews online. Or any better options of a goto mount? 

Thanks,

AI

Edited by AstroInvestigator

A couple of things stand out for me about that mount...

• It relies on a tablet or computer to operate the GOTO system, meaning that you'll have to look at said screen while using the scope.  For me, screens are a no-no if I'm out observing in a dark site, even if they have a red filter or 'night mode' activated they'll still put out a lot of light which can (and most likely will) affect your night vision, not to mention disturb others if you're with a group.  Good for imagers though who normally do use a computer for guiding and such.
  • It uses a relatively small battery pack that will go through batteries probably quite quickly, my simple tracking mount came with a very similar battery pack but I quickly replaced it with a small 6v lead acid battery and some custom power cables, much easier to handle and charge.

Otherwise I have no experience of Explore Scientific mounts, however if it's made to the same standards as their eyepieces it should work well (I have their 14mm 82 degree eyepiece, very good indeed).

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might get more replies if you gave more information.  What do you intend to use the setup for? What kind of telescope is included in the 127 eq outfit?

Why are you interested in the Explore Scientific mount (which is probably quite good) rather than  one of the popular GoTo mounts offered by Skywatcher, etc?  If the mount is intended for astrophotography, you would get better results with a heavy duty mount like a HEQ5 and probably a different telescope. It depends how serious your ambitions are and how much you want to spend.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both,

I intend on eventually doing deep sky astrophotography. I will have to look into the HEQ5. As of now I am not trying to spend a large amount of money, I have noticed goto mounts on craigslist and other websites for a way cheaper amount but i guess it is just down to luck at that point. The 127 eq telescope is a Newtonian Reflector.

Aperture: 127mm

Focal Length: 1000mm

Focal Ratio: 7.87

I am currently using a DSLR for a camera and just a laptop for capturing. 

Thanks,

AI

I could be wrong, but I think that your telescope may be a Bird-Jones design, and these do not have a good reputation. Is the tube anything like 1000mm long? Is there a lens inside the focuser? (other than the eyepiece) If you have doubts about its performance, a telescope upgrade may be indicated.

If you intend to eventually do deep sky astrophotography you really need a mount like the HEQ5 for best results, and if you buy any other Goto mount in the meantime, you could end up buying twice.  The book "Making Every Photon Count" is the standard reference.

Nothing wrong with using a DSLR and laptop.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I could be wrong, but I think that your telescope may be a Bird-Jones design, and these do not have a good reputation. Is the tube anything like 1000mm long? Is there a lens inside the focuser? (other than the eyepiece) If you have doubts about its performance, a telescope upgrade may be indicated.

If you intend to eventually do deep sky astrophotography you really need a mount like the HEQ5 for best results, and if you buy any other Goto mount in the meantime, you could end up buying twice.  The book "Making Every Photon Count" is the standard reference.

Nothing wrong with using a DSLR and laptop.

You are not wrong.

Why is it that they have a bad reputation? I have seen people online hate them but it just seems to be for the collimation. Are they not strong powered? The tube i have is 1000mm long and i don't believe there is a lens inside the focuser.  I really wonder if there is any way I can modify it to improve it (be able to see deep space objects). As for goto mount I am still searching online for used ones, hopefully come across a nice HEQ5. The book too I saw was selling on amazon for $700, crazy. I did see that you can get it from the author but sadly due to the virus he is waiting till its over to sell more. 

-AI

7 hours ago, AstroInvestigator said:

Why is it that they have a bad reputation? I have seen people online hate them but it just seems to be for the collimation. Are they not strong powered? The tube i have is 1000mm long and i don't believe there is a lens inside the focuser.  I really wonder if there is any way I can modify it to improve it (be able to see deep space objects). As for goto mount I am still searching online for used ones, hopefully come across a nice HEQ5. The book too I saw was selling on amazon for $700, crazy. I did see that you can get it from the author but sadly due to the virus he is waiting till its over to sell more. 

The Bird-Jones has a bad reputation because it is a poor implementation of the basic idea.  If you posted some photos of your scope it would help clear up the matter of what design it is.  There is no way you can modify it to see more deep space objects - it is what it is and to see more of faint fuzzies etc you need more aperture. The darkness or otherwise of your skies also makes a huge difference.

The book is available from forum sponsor FLO for 20 pounds and it seems to be in stock.

Another route you might consider is EEVA - using a small aperture telescope with electronic assistance for near real time views.  I put together an EEVA rig with items I already had - 120mm f5 refractor, SLT mount on wood tripod, ASI224MC camera, and laptop with stacking software, and found its reach on faint objects was greater than that of an 8" SCT used visually. 

• Like 1