Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I connect my SynScan to my PC

avodcap7

Hi, so I wanted to ask, how do I connect my HEQ5 Pro SynScan (5V) hand controller to PC. I tried the usb port, but had no luck, so now I will try the RJ-12 port. The problem is, I can't figure out how. Do I buy a direct RJ-12 tu USB cable or do I need a connector (RJ-12, then RS232-USB), which ones will work and which ones won't? I have a port on my PC (looks like it has 8 pins). It's a laptop, also has usb ports, of course. 

I would be SO happy if someone helped me because I've been stuck on this for about a week! 

Best regards,

Emilis

Hi Emilis,

To connect your hand controller to your laptop, you'll need the cable that came with the mount, which should have a RJ-12 connector on one end and a female RS232 on the other. The RJ-12 goes in the bottom of the hand controller and you'll have to get an adapter for the other end that goes from male RS232 to USB, like this.

Alternatively, you can use a direct RJ-12 to USB cable, like this.

HTH

Edited by JoshHopk

5 minutes ago, JoshHopk said:

Hi Emilis,

To connect your hand controller to your laptop, you'll need the cable that came with the mount, which should have a RJ-12 connector on one end and a male RS232 on the other. The RJ-12 goes in the bottom of the hand controller and you'll have to get an adapter for the other end that goes from female RS232 to USB, like this.

Hi, thank you for responding! I, however, do not have the RF-12 to male RS232 cable. It didn't come with the mount. I have heard that some cables do not work. Can you link a reliable cable that will work?

2 minutes ago, wornish said:

I think one of these should work.  This connects your PC to the handset. I assume you already have the cable to connect handset to mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-usb-to-serial-adapter-for-sky-watcher-handsets-5m.html

Yes, I have my mount connected to my hand controller. Thanks alot, I will probably buy this!

2 minutes ago, avodcap7 said:

Hi, thank you for responding! I, however, do not have the RF-12 to male RS232 cable. It didn't come with the mount. I have heard that some cables do not work. Can you link a reliable cable that will work?

The second cable i linked (Identical to the one that Dave has also linked I believe) should work fine :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshHopk said:

The second cable i linked (Identical to the one that Dave has also linked I believe) should work fine :smile:

Already bought the EQDIR cable. As I understand, you have to connect it straight to the mount. Thanks alot!

On 24/05/2020 at 12:24, avodcap7 said:

Hi, so I wanted to ask, how do I connect my HEQ5 Pro SynScan (5V) hand controller to PC. I tried the usb port, but had no luck, so now I will try the RJ-12 port. The problem is, I can't figure out how. Do I buy a direct RJ-12 tu USB cable or do I need a connector (RJ-12, then RS232-USB), which ones will work and which ones won't? I have a port on my PC (looks like it has 8 pins). It's a laptop, also has usb ports, of course. 

I would be SO happy if someone helped me because I've been stuck on this for about a week! 

Best regards,

Emilis

Hi Emilis - have you got this sorted yet??

All you need is the USB A to USB B (like a printer type USB cable). You are probably not "seeing" it on the PC as there is some config. you sometimes need to do with the "COM Ports".

If you still have trouble - PM me or reply and we will sort it .....

Regards

• 2 months later...