Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Markarian's Chain and Ring Nebula

Hi, so here's my first attempt at Markarian's Chain in Virgo. It's not very good as it's not exactly at the highest part of the sky here in the UK, so the sky glow and added light pollution from the streetlamps outside my garden make it a very difficult target to process (at least for me) but I thought I would share my attempt anyway. Captured using SW Evostar 80ED DS-Pro and SW EQ6-R Pro with Canon 2000d, guided with PHD2.

60 x 300s subs (total 5 hours - taken over 2 nights), with bias and flats. Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop. 

821383115_MarkariansChain.thumb.jpg.06fad04485cdaf4633018b05ffb39b6f.jpg

I also got 30mins worth of data on M57 the Ring Nebula before packing up my equipment on the second nights imaging (10 x 180s subs, with flats and bias). Much more pleased with the Ring Nebula, much easier target. I look forward to gathering more data on this!

1164768519_RingNebula.thumb.jpg.191a5955e8fc5e73a856905186bdbcd2.jpg

1728924860_RingNebula2.thumb.jpg.59926ac2e5f4d9c1d475813610dca3a0.jpg

FYI I've now got my new astronomy camera (ZWO ASI1600mm Pro with filter wheel, LRGB and NB filters) 😀 I spent yesterday getting it all set up in APT so just got to wait for the next clear sky to go try it out! 

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

You got 'em but your LP on the chain must be pretty bad.

Ring looks good, maybe add more data when skies are good.

Yeah the LP is pretty bad on the chain, I've got LP from Southampton docks and from 2 streetlights on that side of my garden. The difference in the background sky between looking south towards the chain and looking straight up is a huge difference. I think I might target images higher up in the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

processed in Photoshop

Hi

Excellent effort.

I wonder if a different app may bring out a little more of the galaxies. How about posting the fits/tif?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Aramcheck said:

I had a quick go with the data, but with a rough quick process I got this odd grid pattern... Any idea what's causing that?

Cheers
Ivor

Noise.jpg

No idea what the source of the grid pattern is, perhaps it's caused by noise created by light pollution? That area of sky is alot lighter compared to straight up, and as the mount tracks it towards the west it gets closer and closer to one of the street lamps, 

• Like 1

Hi

I had a go with a very mild stretch. There are some nice galaxies to be extracted:)

I gave up on the colour. There is colour; maybe the debayer went wrong. Dunno...

1as.thumb.jpg.68881244fe12beb3132f881ec928e4e3.jpg

**EDIT. I aligned the histogram and removed some of the background noise. There's some colour coming through now which maybe stretchable...

ss2.thumb.jpg.d34e13353ef374782ef60c89856489ee.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1