Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for EP and Barlow Lens

Hi, so my Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 130 has finally arrived although it has too cloudy to use but I'm wondering if buying some better quality EPs and a barlow will make a real difference. I'm looking at the Celstron X-Cell LX range, in particular, whether go for a 2x or 3x barlow and what should be the sweet spot for selection amongst the EPs, those being 2.3,5 ,7, 9, 12, 18, 25mm. Or are there better other brands/models or are zoom models a better option? 

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about buying more eyepieces before you have had a chance to use the telescope for a couple of sessions with the supplied eyepieces. 

You are unlikely to need a 3x barlow, but a 2x may be useful depending on which eyepieces you buy. 

The X-cell LX range will work well in the shorter focal lengths, say the 12mm and below. You can buy better eyepieces, but whether you can buy better eyhyepieces for your budget may be a different matter. If you give us a budget to work with we can give better advice. Whether or not you need glasses will probably also impact your choices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not clear where you are located, but the BST Starguider/Paradigm eyepieces are another lower cost, step-up line of eyepieces.  The 5mm for a highest power eyepiece would be a good choice.  At the other end, a 32mm Plossl makes for a good widest field eyepiece.

You'll probably want some collimation tools for the primary and secondary.  I'd recommend the Rigel Aline and a Cheshire eyepiece.  Also, read up on Newtonian reflector collimation.  It's usually a just a matter of getting it right once and then touching it up before each session.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I finally got out with my scope and am reasonably happy with it though mostly moon viewing so far. it came with a standard 10mm and 25mm so I'd like to get a wide field of view lense and a maximum magnification one, along with a barlow x2 and perhaps a filter (for planetary viewing). My budget is £50-£100 for each and I'm located in the UK. 650mm focal length on the scope.

Incidentally I went for a laser collimator which appears to not require any collimation itself - aluminium structure and came with a 2" adapter which I used to turn the laser inside whilst fixed to check how 'straight' the laser was against a wall.

4 minutes ago, Asmodeus said:

I've owned the Mk III and Mk II Hyperion zooms. Not used the barlow though.

They are probably one of the best zooms around unless you pay big bucks for something like the Leica ASPH zoom.

Pretty close to the optical quality of fixed focal length eyepieces such as the BST Starguider, Hyperion non-zooms, Celestron X-Cell LX's etc.

The instantly variable focal length is very useful.

The true field is a bit narrow at the 24mm end so I would want a wide field 26mm - 30mm eyepiece to go with it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Asmodeus said:

Its a great lens the Baader 8-24 but unfortunately it won't give you a widefield at the 24mm end. Like all zooms that is its handicap. Gives a nice widefield at the high powered end though. So would end having to buy another eyepiece to compliment it, if low power wide is what you were after.

Sorry, John had already answered while i was typing...lol

Edited by russ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Due to the light nights I never got round to buying a Barlow or EP. now that the dark nights are back 😀 I’m looking again. I have a 10mm and 25mm with my starsense explorer dx 130 but looking for something that is better for viewing the moon,Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Last night the last 3 were too small using my standard lenses. What will be best for my needs? I’m confused between celestron Barlow 2x omni x/cel and luminous versions and what EP to go with them. I also would like an adapter so I can use my phone. Thanks in advance. I would add that I don’t want spend hundreds of pounds but still would like something reasonable (if such a thing exists). My starting point was maybe an omni Barlow x2 and a 6mm omni possl EP. I think this would give me around 215x ? Would this be ok or would I notice a real difference moving to the x-cel range or better or alternative. I also wear glasses though don’t mind looking in to EP without. 

Edited by Asmodeus
Added comments regarding cost