Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arp 220 & 244

Kepler 3

Hi, 

I was out the other evening and imaged Arp 220 and 244-both of which are the merging of 2 galaxies. While the visible light image of Arp 220 may not be very impressive, it is an Ultraluminous Infared Galaxy (ULIRG) with an infrared luminosity placing it in the luminosity regime of quasars. Most of the energy output is a result of a massive burst of star formation triggered by the merger of 2 smaller galaxies. An interesting aspect of Arp 220 is that, until recently, it was considered a rare local oddity, but very numerous highly red-shifted galaxies have been found with spectral energy distributions similar to Arp 220. These numerous ULIRG's play an important role in understanding galaxy formation in the early universe and the relatively close Arp 220 (~237 million ly away) is an important template in studying the dynamics of these galaxies. Both were imaged with a 10" f/4.7 Newtonian, an Atik Infinity monochrome camera, and a Astronomik CLS filter. Arp 220 was 30s x 10 and Arp 244 was 11s x 15. Both were in a light polluted area-with the Arp 244 image the worst-being barely over the top of my house, but I am happy to get what I can- especially sitting out on a warm lovely spring evening.

Thanks

Dick

Antennae Galaxies_05_16_2020_11sx15_orionj (2)MS.jpg

ARP220_05_18_2020_30sx10_orionj.jpg

• Like 6