NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW EQ5 part?

miguel87

Advice please,

Been having a proper clear out of the loft. Found a box of astronomy bits and sorting it out.

What is this and do I need it? It must be from my eq5 mount.

Thanks! ✌

20200516_101718.jpg

13 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

does look like the one on my EQ5 that fits in the saddle for the tube rings to fix onto

Ok thanks, maybe it came with two different size options of something.

👍

I think that's the standard part, I've a long dovetail bar on one rather than that part, so the OTA rings are spaced further apart for stability and to allow more movement when balancing. I guess that part was put aside and had vanished by the time I bought the scope lol.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. I have never bought any extra mounting parts so it must have come with two options. Unless of course rother valley optics very kindly gave me an upgrade without telling me.

Edited by miguel87

43 minutes ago, John said:

It's the short dovetail bar that the supply. Pretty useless really.

The one time I've found such an item quite handy is for fitting a ball head on a telescope mount when I just wanted to image with a DSLR and lens.  In fact I think I have one permanently fitted to a ball head.

James

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The one time I've found such an item quite handy is for fitting a ball head on a telescope mount when I just wanted to image with a DSLR and lens.  In fact I think I have one permanently fitted to a ball head.

James

kinda thinking to do that with mine James so I can put the 222 or get another ball head to use on the EQ5 for the camera. Tho I'm not so sure that the old S100FS is really up to it after last night's experiment - not easy to find focus on it...

Incidentally, now that I've got a few eq5 people listening. Does anybody know what gauge the finger screws on the counter weights are?

The plastic knob broke off one of mine months ago and it's a right pain to tighten. There's tons on Ebay but I dont know what gauge it is and I am not technically minded enough to figure it out 😅

Edited by miguel87

seems to be M8x1.25 pitch checking with the tap&die set I have. Tho an M8 isn't going to go all the way through to the smaller hole where it meets the shaft. Only the back end where the thumbscrew is is threaded, the rest of the shaft is reduced to 6.4mm for 53mm of the start of the bolt.

• Thanks 1

epoxy/araldite would be better, superglue will break down eventually from moisture.

If the whole thing has come off what's the end of the bolt like, you might be able to file a flat/square end and get a small T-bar fitted onto it, maybe even silver solder it on yourself...

Just now, DaveL59 said:

epoxy/araldite would be better, superglue will break down eventually from moisture.

If the whole thing has come off what's the end of the bolt like, you might be able to file a flat/square end and get a small T-bar fitted onto it, maybe even silver solder it on yourself...

Its rounded but with grip/tiny gear teeth around it.

15896361291866405029989001868923.jpg

ahh pity its not drilled and tapped at the end, it's almost like a tap fitting.

Wonder if you can make a small mold (drink/milk bottle cap) and form your own by filling with some epoxy and set the bolt vertical in it until totally cured. Might work and be a cheap easy fix. Leave the mold on for a grippy edge and no sharp edges to cut yourself on.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1