TS 115 APO - Is this CA acceptable??

Hello to all,

I just treated myself to a new refractor - a TS Optics PhotoLine 115APO f/7 - and after the mandatory first cloudy nights, I was able to shoot Venus ansd some starts yesterday.

Below is the result, summary, from yesterday night.

This is a shot after cooldown, under good seing and using a Bahtinov to focus.

I am in no way an expert, and this is my first APO... Therefore my question: is it acceptable?

This is a Triplet FPL51 - Lanthan.

Thank you for your help!

J

test.jpg

Edited by jj_apo115

Hi and welcome to SGL 👍

So hard to comment on your pic....much depends on how the image was taken, how it was processed, how steady the  mount to allow the scope to perform well.....

One important point is that Venus must be the toughest test of optics there is.  Very few refractors will give a clean sharp view of this most challenging object.  Dead easy to find, so hard to get a good image....

As Ed says, it is hard to tell but Venus is very bright and relatively low down now so any CA is likely to be atmospheric rather than a result of the scope optics.

Hello.  From the pic then its difficult to say . Try putting a quality eyepiece in the scope and doing visual as a comparison.  You may well find the image through an eyepiece is so much better, If so then maybe you should look into your imaging gear/ processing and not the scope.

Hope this helps

Thanks to all of you! Also for the welcome to this great forum 😁

7 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Hello.  From the pic then its difficult to say . Try putting a quality eyepiece in the scope and doing visual as a comparison.  You may well find the image through an eyepiece is so much better, If so then maybe you should look into your imaging gear/ processing and not the scope.

Hope this helps

Certainly when shooting with the DSLR on the live view I see no CA at all, but only when I take the shot.

I will try with better atmosphere to final check on it.

Cheers.