Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at Nebulae: Cederblad 214 & NGC 7822

oymd

Hello everyone

Here's my first attempt at a nebula.

It was very challenging to process in PI, and I am still learning...

Since I do not plate solve yet, or run the mount through the computer, I struggling to frame the nebula, since I just use the handset and Live view on APT.

Just trusted the 3 star alignment, and hoped that I was imaging the right part of the sky...

:)

Please offer some feedback.

I tried to plate solve the image in PI, but did not understand how it works. Not sure if I covered the nebula properly.

Many thanks

Ossi

Ced 214 & NGC 7822 LPS V4 processed.png

Edited by oymd
  • Like 9

I did some research on CED 214 and NCG 7822, and I did some more imaging on the next night.

Again, totally missed the target.

595188364_NGC7822processed.thumb.png.1298d1d829b22f7b6279e95f2d0d1623.png

I should have used a star to frame!!

:(

I used a simple combination of both images, and this is how they should have been oriented.

Untitled3.thumb.png.6c43e0d0480f2abf41a83c55913ed8cd.png

It seems there is no way CED 214, NCG 7822 would have fit in my FOV.

I used for reference a picture uploaded by Trevor, from Astrobackyard, where he used the new Canon Da and took a very wide field view.

2118536865_Trevor@Astrobackyard.thumb.jpg.3a8b1f0203d68240d8154ea51f504194.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

I think with your FOV you'll have to do a mosaic to get it all in.

Framing can take a bit of practice to get right especially with narrow field of view on larger targets.

Yes, guess so.

Where is the option in PI to do MOSAIC?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

When I was trying to frame the heart and soul nebula I autostretched a frame in PI to check the position.

I did that.

After getting first sub in APT, I opened the sub in PI, and stretched as much as i could, but got nothing.

Guess signal was too weak from just one sub.

I think in the future I will need to slew to a star in the middle of the field, and take it from there

1 hour ago, cuivenion said:

When I was trying to frame the heart and soul nebula I autostretched a frame in PI to check the position.

Here's what I meant. This is the SECOND image. I triple stretched using HTT of the first sub. As you can see, there is nothing there but grey background and stars...

Even with CurvesTransformation

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

Edited by oymd
  • Like 1

Try the boosted auto stretch function and see if you get anything, though to be fair if it's very faint you'll still struggle. If you have the option with your mount to control from PC I'd do that and start platesolving if you're going after fainter stuff.