NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount counterweight

Gorr_77

4 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

£400 for a lump of steel! I'd be looking for threaded steel bar for a shaft and use nuts to hold weights in place!

He needs weights not the bar hence the big lumps.

Heres a Rowan counterweight in 303 stainless. Note the locking screw is short and M10 and a brass rod is used. Bit more complicated drilling of the locking hole though but no big deal.

9D708143-4750-459E-9BA9-FA98490043E9.jpeg

16F5CC50-17E4-4355-9C91-2EC386A15A45.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

He needs weights not the bar hence the big lumps.

and i have only 350mm counterweight bar length ,

How about  i will ask for : 303, 150mm diameter instead 120, then: 32m centre hole and 10mm side locking hole.  - weight of that plate is: 21kg.. - ufff - it will be massive task to lift it, probably too much. 120mm diameter x 150 lengt = 13kg weight.

We see whats the cost.

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I was going to say, it's hard to find long M8 or M10 bolts that are tipped in brass or nylon, with the plastic knobs on top.  Most are 55-60mm max.

but I could do what johninderby mentioned above: split bolt and pin

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

but I could do what johninderby mentioned above: split bolt and pin

Yes I know, just confirming what John said.  If it's not much dearer to buy premade, it would save any hassle.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Thanks 1

At the risk of 'pestering' your man, I would be inclined to get what you want firmly decided and then just proceed with the final design, and send this over.   It obviously depends on how well you know him though.

• Like 1

I've got Rowans quote:

3 x 7.7kg only -in 303 Grade,  fully machined, with screws / pins / 3.25mm bore - no inserts. = £345

I was looking to get cheap steel weights ie. celestron CGX-L - £115 for 10kg... if i  can find a used one.....yep....

Edited by Gorr_77

• 2 weeks later...

... and the winner was : Rowans  - 2 weeks waiting time.... Unfortunately i couldn't find anybody who would do it cheaper or quicke - i am happy with that :)

I tell you what : i've had an online quote: £1960...!!!! fair enough, i did say no :)

Edited by Gorr_77
errorrss

7 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

... and the winner was : Rowans  - 2 weeks waiting time.... Unfortunately i couldn't find anybody who would do it cheaper or quicke - i am happy with that :)

I tell you what : i've had an online quote: £1960...!!!! fair enough, i did say no :)

At least of Rowan is doing it you know it will be right. 👍🏻

• Like 1