NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing chair alternative

Supernova74

Hi all on Astro lounge I’ve just recently purchased an observing chair well it’s called an ironing pirch chair to be exsact an it’s solid and has an adjustable seat also I’m not a light weight ever as I’m around 6.4ft and weigh around 18 stone (no rude comments please 😆)

As I did,nt really fancy spending around £130-200 on an specific Astronomy observing chair if you put ironing pirch chair in search engine this should come up and retails for around £70 

010EAF0D-B3C1-4017-81F1-A630A8D67047.jpeg

• Like 3

I think there are quite a few different designs of ironing chairs, so it's worth googling them. Personally I like a bit more comfort as I find my back complaining much more these days. This is my alternative to an official observing chair. It's a hydraulic draughtsmans chair and gives good back support. It cost me £10 at a garden centre office furniture sale about 9 years ago. Very comfy for long observing sessions!  😊

IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.a4f8ad02b175a6d2ecd03f8671280ef5.JPG

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

Not bad idea also however this folds away more and less flat all metal contruction light enough to move around your scope only draw back with plastic caster wheels from experience thay can break easily and not to great on grass can imagine

Exactly what I suggested in another topic recently. I've been using one for years and they're a lot cheaper than astro-designed gear. I also used a drum throne for a while. Man, that was comfortable.

I've also found that cheap and cheerful "ironing board" chairs suit my astro needs perfectly. 👍

I wasted so much time and money on genuine telescope chairs, finding them either heavy, awkward, and/or uncomfortable.

I found the Skywatcher Model at just under £100 was very cumbersome to use and occasionally slipped down when in use.

I then tried a Mey viewing chair, also at about £100, but that was very heavy, and the seat had a curious swivelling action that was quite disconcerting when perching on it.

I then couldn't resist a secondhand  "craftsman built English beech wood observing seat" via ebay, which although is a work of art and beautifully made, is far too big for my Pod, and would really only suit a 10ft by 10ft observatory.

Finally, I now have a Leifheit Multi Seat Niveau, bought from Amazon for around £40.  This is absolutely perfect, very lightweight, fully adjustable for height, folds up against the wall in an instant, and supports my generous 95kg with no problem.  In fact it's so good that I bought a second one for my workshop, for use when sitting at the bench.... 🤓

Leifheit Multi Seat Niveau .jpg

seat in pod.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Thanks 1