Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar mosaics always failing.

I’m looking some advice. I have tried mosaics now a few times and the software fails to align.

Yesterday I took 44 panels and I’ve tried using PS, ICE and Autostitch to join them together.  It always results in an incomplete panorama of varying success. I tried processing the panels in ImPPG first, sharpen and curves, and then constructing the mosaic. This was worse.

I took flats using the defocus method.  I now have a tilt adapter ordered.

The panels looks evenly illuminated.  Any suggestions, I may have to draw a line under mosaics.

Thanks

Adam. 

On 13/05/2020 at 09:27, tooth_dr said:

I’m looking some advice. I have tried mosaics now a few times and the software fails to align.

Yesterday I took 44 panels and I’ve tried using PS, ICE and Autostitch to join them together.  It always results in an incomplete panorama of varying success. I tried processing the panels in ImPPG first, sharpen and curves, and then constructing the mosaic. This was worse.

I took flats using the defocus method.  I now have a tilt adapter ordered.

The panels looks evenly illuminated.  Any suggestions, I may have to draw a line under mosaics.

Thanks

Adam. 

Hi Adam

Long shot here, but have you tried cropping the edges off the individually panels first? I remember doing a Lunar mosaic a few years ago and it wouldn't stitch for me at all in MS ICE. Then I cropped each panel and Boom, worked first time. 

18 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Hi Adam

Long shot here, but have you tried cropping the edges off the individually panels first? I remember doing a Lunar mosaic a few years ago and it wouldn't stitch for me at all in MS ICE. Then I cropped each panel and Boom, worked first time. 

Hi Ciarán!

Thanks for the tip. It was the first thing I did when it did not align.  Still no joy. I think it was too optimistic trying 40+ panels. 

22 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Ciarán!

Thanks for the tip. It was the first thing I did when it did not align.  Still no joy. I think it was too optimistic trying 40+ panels. 

Darn it.

What about splitting it up into a few smaller mosaics, then combining them all at the end? Might be tricky sorting the panels first but could be worth a try. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Xiga said:

Darn it.

What about splitting it up into a few smaller mosaics, then combining them all at the end? Might be tricky sorting the panels first but could be worth a try. 

Lol it was easy to sort the panels in order as they were captured in a serpentine fashion, and I have tried stitching rows and gave up after 3 hours with uneven joints.

I deleted the data last night and will try again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have any better luck?

For the second day running I've not been able to stitch two separate 6 panels (serpentine) in Ca-K. All processed in imppg first. On both occasions I can stitch the top three and it refuses to accept the bottom three. I tried doing the top alone, then the bottom - but t doesn't seem to like shots across the base of the disc. ICE and PS both come up with the same 'problem'.

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

Did you have any better luck?

For the second day running I've not been able to stitch two separate 6 panels (serpentine) in Ca-K. All processed in imppg first. On both occasions I can stitch the top three and it refuses to accept the bottom three. I tried doing the top alone, then the bottom - but t doesn't seem to like shots across the base of the disc. ICE and PS both come up with the same 'problem'.

I’ve actually just stopped trying mosaics. I gave up after 3 or 4 sessions gathering data!

• Thanks 1