Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

am i doing something wrong?

hello everyone!

i have the esprit 120 telescope with the zwo asi 071 pro camera and the 2" L-pro filter. couple weeks ago i ordered the baader ufc filter unit in order to attach the filter to the camera and start to image from my house! but the problem that the connections are not connecting to my setup... i ordered the: M48 ADAPTER,T-2 ADAPTER, FILTER SLIDER, AND FILTER CHAMBER. but none of the things is attaching to my telescope. the only thing that i succeeded  to connect is the filter itself to the camera (image attach), but beside from that nothing is working for me, am i doing something wrong, i need to buy the correct parts (maybe i ordered the wrong parts), anyone here have this setup and maybe can image how its need to look?

in one image the filter is connected to the camera (but i cant attach this to the telescope)

in the second image is the parts that i ordered. the circle behind is part of the telescope purchase. this is the only thing that connect to the field flattener/telescope

thank very very much!!!!!

IMG_20200509_140839.jpg

IMG-20200507-WA0004.jpeg

oh, sorry 😅

Which parts don't fit  ? - everything! nothing of the parts that i bought fit to the telescope itself

Which parts do fit ? - the only thing that fit is the filter chamber to the camera (like the second image) and the circle behind (the one that came with the telescope purchase) to the left circle in the first image (i think is the t-2 adapter?)

maybe i didnt bought the correct parts?

thanks!!

Okay, I see now that image 2 shows the Baader Filter Unit attached to the camera, so it's the connection to the focuser that's the problem. 

Is there a threaded end to the focuser that the Baader Filter Unit could screw onto, maybe after a bit of disassembly ? 

Diameter?  Male or Female? 

Does the Baader Filter Unit have a thread on the telescope side? 

What Diameter?  Male or Female? 

You need an adapter with those threads. 

But maybe the focuser doesn't have threads, even after some disassembly. 

I see that the Esprit has a 3inch focuser with 2inch and 1.25inch adapters. 

In that case you need a 2inch nose piece with the correct size threads to match the threads on the Baader Filter Unit. 

Something like this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-inch-t-mount-camera-nosepiece-adapter.html

You may also need a long spacer, to replace the optical path length of the Star Diagonal, otherwise the camera may not be able to reach focus. 

Michael 

michael8554 - what do you mean by "threaded end" to the focuser? (maybe in image 1 the cirrcle behind?) because i think that i dont know what kind of connections i have (i know that the camera have m42 i think...)

you say that i need to disassembly the focuser of my telescope? i didnt understad...

and the product that you sent supposed to attach the whole setup tot he telescope?

MarkAR - i need to disassembly the focuser of my telescope? it doesn't weird that i need to disassembly my focuser of my telescope in order to attach a filter? why they did like that the unit?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking that if your scope is built similar to mine then the compression clamp for the diagonal/camera can be unscrewed from the focuser. Mine does to reveal a M68 thread to fit screw on field flatteners or other accessories. On your scope it could be the ring I've pointed to in red that unscrews and one of your adapters might screw on to it.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 00.12.06.png

I'm getting the feeling you're being deliberately obtuse.

We're both saying there may be a fitting on the end of the focuser that will unscrew to give you a screw thread for the camera to connect to.

That's what we meant by "a bit of disassembly".

No spanners, screwdrivers,  or monkey wrenches, just unscrew by hand.

Mark's image says that if you manage to do that there may be a M68 thread - might be a difficult adapter to get.

So the simplest thing in your case would be to remove your star diagonal and use the item I linked to, as you're saying the camera has a M42 thread.

Michael

Looks like the front of your camera is different. 

This is from the FLO site and shows the front plate is flat with M42 female threads. Is there a part missing from it or is the front plate upside down.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 01.01.52.png

Hi Mark

It wasn't obvious, but if you look at hubble's original image, it shows the Baader Filter unit (the black item with the Baader logo on the side) already attached to the ZWO.

That was indeed a M42 to M42 connection

Leaving only the connection to the focuser.

Michael

Ahh! I see it now. Eyeballs not working last night.

Then does one of the other two parts in the top picture then supposed to drop into the filter holder and is then clamped with grub screws on the side.

Let me see if I can help. Here is a labelled version of the original photo.

HST_UFC.png.1fd00f907cc731b13869111b0f065598.png

@hubble space telescope, please confirm if the following are correct:

• A is the part which came with your telescope. If you unscrew the eyepiece clamp from the end of the focuser, the wider end M68 of this screws to the focuser. The smaller side is probably M48. 
  • B is the M48 adaptor. You should be able to screw the smaller side of part A into the hole in the middle of part B.
  • C is the filter slider. It is not important for figuring out how everything is assembled so put it to the side.
  • D is the main filter chamber with the M42 camera adaptor already attached.
  • E is some sort of spacer ring. Perhaps it is supposed to be placed in A before you screw it to B to prevent the two becoming seized.

If A screws to B correctly, then B is the correct part.

We know that D is correct because you have screwed it to the camera already.

The difficulty is connecting B to D. As @MarkAR has just said, B should drop into the open side of D, and then you can use the grub screws around the edge of D to lock B in place.

If you already have the field flattener, this will go between parts A and B. However, in order to get the correct spacing between the flattener and your camera, or just to reach focus, you may need to buy additional extension tubes to fit between B and D.

michael8554 and MarkAR - thecamera looks like that! i can attach extender to the hole, but that is how the camera is built. and i will try to unscrew the focuser holder and try to attach!

Ricochet - wow! its sound right. i will try to connect in the order that you wrote! you think that this spacer should work? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-inch-t-mount-camera-nosepiece-adapter.html like that michael8554 suggested?

E - i really dont know what is that... its really flexible small thing...

thank you so much for the big help!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

you think that this spacer should work? 

No, you would have to buy the Baader UFC spacers that have the same dovetail and clamping system as part B. Alternatively, if the field flattener and part B have M48 threads then M48 threaded adaptors could be placed between the flattener and B.

On 14/05/2020 at 10:45, hubble space telescope said:

you think that this spacer should work? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-inch-t-mount-camera-nosepiece-adapter.html like that michael8554 suggested?

It would. But as Riccochet says, you already have all the parts you need.

No need to buy any more parts, just follow his simple instructions.

Michael

1349325320_IMG_20200515_144938(2).thumb.jpg.fcd9a002ac03855e5d0a27506889349c.jpg

success! thank you for all the help!!! A didnt screw to B as you can see. but all the parts are connected good!

the only thing is when i want to take the filter out (part c), i need to unscrew it a little bit because the spacer from the telescope Interferes with screwing out...

but it looks ok, right?

again big thanks to all of you!!!!

5 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

i need to unscrew it a little bit because the spacer from the telescope Interferes with screwing out...

Well done.

Maybe you need to insert part E between them ?

6 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

but it looks ok, right

You need more spacers. The manual states you need 75mm between the flattener and CCD. The optical length of the camera is 12.5mm and the Baader parts 19mm. This means that unless you have spacers to make up the 43.5mm required, you will need more or different spacers. Buying the Baader spacers will stop the spacer you do have from fouling on the filter slider. 

Edited by Ricochet

The spacing is puzzling.

Here's two quotes for identical looking 120 Field Correctors:

"The working distance from the M 48 thread is 55 mm - ideal for photography with DSLR cameras with T adapter."

"The spacing for dedicated CCD imaging cameras is 75mm from mating surface."

Michael